DMV Appointments in Illinois
Prepare for the Driver's License Exam with a DMV Cheat Sheet
Passing the Illinois written exam has never been easier. It's like having the answers before you take the test.
- 50 essential questions and answers
- Traffic signs & signals you must know
- Includes SOS fee info
...And much more!
You can spend less time waiting in line by scheduling certain appointments with the Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) ahead of time. This guide will outline the types of appointments you can make, how to make them, and what you'll need to bring when you visit.
Remember, you might not even have to visit your local SOS office thanks to the convenient online services provided by the state.
Types of Illinois SOS appointments
You can schedule appointments with the Illinois SOS for the following:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) road skills exam.
- Temporary visitor driver's license (TVDL) at Chicago North and Chicago West offices ONLY.*
* NOTE: All other SOS offices handle TVDL services on a walk-in basis.
How to Schedule an Appointment with the IL SOS
To make an appointment for your CDL behind-the-wheel test, you can:
- Use the online Illinois Fast Pass scheduling system.
- Call (217) 785-3013 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you decide to use Illinois Fast Pass, you should allow 48 hours for your appointment to be scheduled in the system. If you fail the CDL road exam, you can't reschedule for at least 48 hours.
To make an appointment with the Chicago North or Chicago West Secretary of State offices for a TVDL, you can:
If you need to cancel your temporary visitor driver license appointment call (312) 814-4913.
What to Bring to Your SOS Appointment
You can save yourself the frustration of having to take a second trip to your local SOS office by making sure you have all of the required materials for your appointment. Check out our guides on the following types of Secretary of State office visits for an idea of what you'll need to bring for your scheduled visit: