Suspended License in Idaho

Suspended Licenses in Idaho

In Idaho, the Idaho Transportation Department (IDT) can suspend your driver’s license for several reasons including driving under the influence of alcohol, failing to pay child support, and more.

Read more to learn about Idaho driver’s license suspensions, reinstatement, and fees.

About Your License Suspension in ID

Common reasons for license suspensions in Idaho include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • An excess of traffic violation points.
  • Operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Committing a felony using a motor vehicle.
  • Driving recklessly.
  • Failing to pay for damages when the law finds you responsible in an accident.
  • Failure to pay required fines.
  • Fleeing the scene of an accident that involves injury or death.
  • Using a driver's license or ID card illegally.
  • Driving without insurance.
  • Driving in violation of any restrictions on your license.
  • Failure to pay child support.
  • Making false statements to the Transportation Department.

The Idaho Transportation Department provides a full list of violations that result in suspension.

Check Your License Status

Are you worried that your license might be suspended? Idaho allows you to check the status of your driver's license online using their online services portal.

ID Suspension Hearings and Appeals

Depending on the reason for your Idaho license suspension, you may be entitled to a hearing to contest it.

Most commonly the Idaho Transportation Department holds hearings regarding suspensions due to:

  • Refusal to test for blood alcohol concentration.
  • Testing over the limit for blood alcohol concentration.

In the above cases, you have 7 days from your arrest to request a hearing with the IDT.

Obtain a Restricted ID Permit

If you need the use of your car to drive to and from work, for medical treatments, or to school, you may qualify for a restricted permit allowing you to do so.

In order to obtain a restricted permit you must:

  • Pay all reinstatement fees.
  • Pay a separate $60 fee.
  • Provide proof that the permit is necessary:
    • If the permit is for work, fill in a work verification form provided by the IDT.
    • If the permit is for medical reasons, submit a letter from your doctor.
  • Provide proof of ID auto insurance.

A suspension by the department means you must consult the IDT. You will need to fill out a Restricted Driving Permit Application (Form ITD 3227) and corresponding forms. You will also need to provide any required documentation and the $60 fee. You can submit your application by:

Fax: (208) 287-3880

Idaho Transportation Department
DMV Operations Restricted Permits
PO Box 34
Boise, ID 83731

If the court suspends your license, you must apply for this special permit from the same court that convicted you. If you were convicted in an out-of-state court, you may apply through the IDT (use the address above).

NOTE: You cannot operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) with a restricted permit.

Reinstate Your Suspended ID License

Once your suspension term has passed, you can reinstate your license with the IDT. To reinstate your license, you must:

  • Pay a reinstatement fee.
    • See “Fees for Suspended ID Licenses” below.
  • Provide proof of insurance (SR22).
  • Provide proof from the courts that you paid any fines imposed on you.

The IDT allows you to reinstate your license online. Note that you cannot pay court fines online. 

Fees for Suspended Licenses in ID

Reinstatement fees range from $15 to $285, depending on the reason for your suspension of revocation. Fees can be higher if you have multiple suspensions.

You can pay your reinstatement fee online with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit or debit card.

You may also be able to pay your fee in person. Check with your local IDT office to make sure you can pay in person and ask about accepted payment methods.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review