Other Licenses & Endorsements in Idaho

Special Driver's Licenses in Idaho

The Idaho Transportation Department offers a few different types of driver's license classes and endorsements specific to types of vehicles and driving professions.

On this page you'll find a basic overview of some of the license classes available to you.

For information about obtaining a standard ID driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Commercial Driver's Licenses in Idaho

Certain vehicles require you to hold a commercial driver's license with a special CDL endorsement. For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Idaho page.

Idaho School Buses and Shuttles

In order to drive a vehicle designed to carry 16 passengers or more including you―the driver―you need a commercial driver's license (CDL) with a passenger ("P") endorsement. These kinds of vehicles include buses, shuttles, and school buses.

You'll generally need to:

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Pass a school bus/passenger endorsement knowledge test.
  • Take the driving test in the type of bus you want to drive.
  • Pass a certification and training course.
  • Pay a licensing fee.

For more information, please contact the Idaho DMV.

Taxi Drivers & Chauffeurs in Idaho

If you're interested in driving a vehicle such as a taxi or limousine, you only need a regular, valid ID driver's license.

Depending on the company for which you drive, you may need to complete some special training. Depending on the city and county in which you live, you may need to get a permit stating you're allowed to drive such a vehicle. The hiring company will explain any special requirements.

You may need to:

  • Have a clean criminal and driving record.
  • Become certified and trained as a taxi driver.
  • Pay a licensing/permit fee.

For more information, please contact the Idaho DMV.

Sports Vehicles in Idaho


In order to legally operate a motorcycle in Idaho, you must have

  • A motorcycle permit, to practice before you test for your motorcycle license.
  • A motorcycle license.

For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Idaho page.

Scooters and Mopeds

You only need a valid driver's license to operate a moped in Idaho. For scooters that can go over 30 MPH and have engines bigger than 50 ccs, you'll need to get a motorcycle endorsement.

For more information about scooters and mopeds, their required licenses, and even the registration and titling processes, refer to our Special Vehicles page.


If you plan to operate your all-terrain vehicle on private property only, you don't need a license; however, if you plan to operate on public land and roadways, you do need a valid driver's license.

Idaho Parks and Recreation reviews ATV laws to help you determine where you can operate your ATV and your license requirements. You should also check out our Special Vehicles page for information about when you must register your ATV (it depends on where you plan to ride).


The same rules that apply to ATVs also apply to snowmobiles (see above).

For information about registering and titling your snowmobile, refer to our Special Vehicles page.


There are no statewide age or driver's license requirements when it comes to operating a boat in Idaho. However, you may need to complete a boater education course.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review