Replacing a Lost Title in Idaho

Replacing a Lost Title in Idaho

If you recently misplaced your Idaho vehicle title, you will want to replace it right away. You'll need your title if you ever move to another state, sell your vehicle, or transfer the title to someone else.

The Idaho Transportation Department handles the issuance of all titles in Idaho. The following vehicles are eligible to submit a duplicate title application:

  • Vehicles 10 years old or older.
  • Vehicles more than 16,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight.
  • Vessels.
  • Off-highway vehicles such as motorbikes, ATVs, UTVs, and snowmobiles without an odometer.
  • Trailers.

Continue reading for complete instructions on how to apply for a duplicate title, and change the name on your title.

Applying for a Duplicate Title in Idaho

The Idaho Transportation Department makes it easy to replace a lost title. Only you or the lienholder of record (or their agent) can apply for a duplicate title by following these simple steps:

  • Completely fill out the Duplicate Idaho Title Application (Form ITD 3367).
    • NOTE: You cannot use this form to transfer ownership to a buyer or transferee.
  • Get the application notarized.
    • If you are applying for a duplicate title in person, you don't have to get your signature notarized as long as it has been witnessed by either an assessor or a deputy assessor.
  • Drop by any county vehicle licensing office or mail the completed, notarized application and the proper fees (see below) to DMV Titles Transmittal For Dealer/Financial Agency at your local county assessor’s office

Be sure you complete ALL of the above-mentioned steps. Failure to submit a fully completed application and the proper fees will cause your application to be returned. And don't try to fax your application; faxed copies will not be accepted.

Duplicate Title Fees in Idaho

There are several fees related to Idaho titles:

  • Duplicate title (with transfer): $14.
  • Rushed title fee: $40.
  • If you do not have your title number and vehicle number: add $7.

NOTE: If mailing your notarized application, make sure to include the proper fee so that you do not hold up the process. And, as always, do not mail cash.

Vehicle Identification Number and Title Number

You'll notice when filing out the application that it asks for both the vehicle/hull identification number and the title number.

Simply look on your vehicle registration; you should find them both listed there. Otherwise, you can include an additional $7 to cover the cost of a title record search.

Contact Information

The Title Assistance Unit can answer any of your questions regarding this process. It can be reached by phone at (208) 584-4343.

Change Your Name on an Idaho Title

If you need to change your name on your vehicle title, you will need to visit your local ID county assessor's office and bring your:

  • Driver's license.
  • Marriage certificate, divorce decree or court document.
  • Payment for the $14 replacement title fee (If you have both the title number and the VIN. Additional fees will apply if you do not have both).

For specific instructions and details about this process, please visit our Idaho Title Transfers page.


ITD 3367
Duplicate Idaho Title Application
Request a replacement vehicle title from the ID Division of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review