Drivers in the Military in Idaho

The Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) cuts you a break if you are an Idaho resident on active military duty (or an immediate family member of one). They make it rather painless to renew your Idaho driver's license and your vehicle registration.

Driver's Licenses

If you are in the military and anticipate deployment out of the state or country, be sure that your Idaho driver's license won't expire while you are away.

If the expiration date is within the next 25 months, you can renew your license in person before you get deployed. Simply take a trip to your county driver's license office to renew. You can do so up to 25 months before your driver's license expires.

If the expiration date is more than 25 months away, and it falls on a date when you know you will be out of the state, you can request an extension using the Extension of Idaho Driver's License Application Form (Form ITD 3153).

You have 6 months to turn in the completed form to the Idaho DMV. But your best bet is submitting it within 6 months of your license's expiration date. As an active member of the military (and an Idaho resident), you have the right to extend your state driver's license for 4 years.

Driver Services can walk you through any of these steps. You can reach them at (208) 334-8736 or via email at

License Extension Fees and Processing

Not until the DMV receives and approves your completed application, fee of $10, and any additional required documents (such as military orders), can you assume your extension is valid. Once this occurs, the DMV will mail an Idaho Certificate of Extension to the mailing address you provided on the application.

Be sure you keep handy your hard copy state driver's license (with photo) and the laminated extension card or extension letter you receive.

If your driving privileges have been revoked, you will get denied when you request an extension.

CDL holders, take note that you cannot extend any hazardous materials endorsements.

Vehicle Registration

While you're at it, go ahead and check all registration expiration dates on your motor vehicles. If they fall during your time away, you can renew registrations for all your vehicles before your deployment. However, registrations cannot be extended.

The State of Idaho allows you to take care of this detail up to 12 months in advance. You can renew registrations for 1 year or 2 years.

To renew, send the appropriate fees to your county assessor's office. Fees vary, so you can contact them to verify.

If your county offers an online service to take care of registration renewal, you are in luck. All you need is your renewal postcard, a credit card (either MasterCard, Visa, or Discover), and your billing address. Fees vary depending on your county, and all online renewals add a convenience charge..

Keep in mind that you cannot renew plates online for boats or classic, dealer, exempt, legislative, loaner, off-road, old timer, repossession, snowmobiles or transporter vehicles.

Vehicle Services, Registration Section staff members are your go-to pros if you have any questions. They can be reached at (208) 584-4343 or via email at


ITD 3153
Application for Extension of Idaho Driver's License or ID Card
Request an extension on your ID driver's license OR identification card's expiration date.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review