Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched DMV.org for insurance rates
Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in Idaho
To legally operate your motorcycle in Idaho you must provide proof of financial responsibility. Compliance, for most riders, involves purchasing a liability insurance policy.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
The state gives you several choices:
- Take out self-insurance coverage. But this is only available to drivers/riders who have more than 25 vehicles registered under their name.
- Obtain a surety bond from an authorized in-state broker.
- Make a cash deposit with the State Treasurer.
- Liability insurance (read below for more information).
Two-Wheeled Vehicles Defined
If you have any doubts whether your two-wheeled vehicle requires registration, and thus would necessitate insurance, call the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at (208) 334-8663.
Idaho Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
Here are the minimum liability insurance requirements:
- $25,000 for injury/death to one person
- $50,000 for injury/death to two or more persons
- $15,000 for damage to property
Don't settle for the first insurance company you contact. Shop around and compare motorcycle insurance quotes before making a decision. And keep in mind that you're not tied to just the minimum requirements. You always have the freedom to maximize your insurance protection with additional types of coverage.
You may have noticed that liability insurance does not cover your own injuries or damages to your bike. Because of this you might find that just meeting the motorcycle insurance requirements does not adequately protect you financially.
If you wish to expand the range of your motorcycle insurance, you can purchase these common optional coverages:
- Collision - This coverage will help with damages to your motorcycle that result from a traffic accident.
- Comprehensive - Covers damages to your motorcycle that result from non-accident related instances such as vandalism, fire, or theft.
- Medical Payments - This coverage can help with medical costs if you are hurt while riding your motorcycle.
- Towing and labor - Unfortunately things happen, and you may find yourself on the side of the road with a bike that doesn't work. This coverage can help provide and pay for roadside assistance and towing.
The details of optional coverages can vary by motorcycle insurance company. It is a good idea to learn as much as you can about what will be included in your policy before you make your purchase.
How Coverage Affects Helmet Requirements
The state does not offer discounts for wearing a helmet while riding. Currently, only riders under 18 years old are required, by law, to ride with a helmet.
NOTE: You may, depending on your carrier, earn discounts or reduced rates for completing Idaho's Skills Training Advantage for Riders (STAR) safety program.
Acceptable Proof of Financial Responsibility
While riding you must carry one of the following:
- A certificate of self-insurance.
- A surety bond certificate or note.
- A cash deposit certificate or note
- An insurance identification card issued by your carrier.
Penalties for Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility
No proof of motorcycle insurance may result in fines and jail time.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Washington DC