Car Registration in Idaho

Summary: How to Register Your Vehicle in Idaho

Vehicle registration in Idaho must be done in person at your local DMV office. Gather your title, proof of identity, car insurance, and payment for your registration fee. You'll need to have your VIN inspected and submit a certificate of inspection, as well as a registration application.

The information on this page helps you negotiate through Idaho's car registration process.

If you already own Idaho license plates and need to renew them, jump over to our Idaho Registration Renewal page.

NOTE: Some special vehicle types, such as RVs, motorhomes, and all-terrain vehicles, have different registration fees and requirements. Visit our Special Vehicles page for more.

New to Idaho?

If you are a new Idaho resident, you must register your vehicle with the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 90 days of establishing Idaho residency.

NOTE: You must title the car before registering. You can register immediately after titling on the same visit. For information on titling requirements in Idaho, visit our Title Transfers page.

Register in person at any county assessor motor vehicle office. Before applying for Idaho license plates, you must first have proof of car insurance with a provider licensed to do business in the state. Your coverage must legally meet the following minimums:

  • $25,000 for the injury or death of one person.
  • $50,000 for the injury or death of two or more persons.
  • $15,000 for property damage or destruction.

Once you're ready to apply for an Idaho vehicle registration certificate, visit any local county assessor motor vehicle office with:

  • Your current out-of-state vehicle registration.
  • Your driver's license and Social Security number.
  • Proof of address/residency.
  • Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection (you may have this completed at the motor vehicle office, if you choose).
  • Payment for registration fees (see “Vehicle Registration Fees" below).
    • You'll be given the choice of registering your vehicle for 1 year or 2 years. If you opt for 2 years, you'll pay double the annual fee.

Registering a Vehicle in Idaho

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

Vehicles Purchased from a Dealership

When buying from a dealership, the dealer will submit your Idaho vehicle title and registration documents for you.

Vehicles Purchased from a Private Party

Before applying for an Idaho car registration, you'll need to title the vehicle first. You have 30 days to title your vehicle after purchase date. You must title and register your vehicle in person (exceptions are for military and out-of-state residents; see below).

To title your new vehicle in your name, provide your local county assessor with:

* The total sales tax can vary based on whether you purchased your vehicle in Idaho or out of state and when it was purchased. For more information, please see our Idaho Title Transfers page.

Once your vehicle is titled in your name, present:

  • The vehicle title.
    • If you send someone to register for you, make sure you've signed the title.
  • Your Idaho driver's license or ID card.
  • Proof of auto insurance in Idaho.
  • Payment for Idaho vehicle registration fees (see “Vehicle Registration Fees" below). You'll have the choice to register your vehicle for 1 year or 2 years.

NOTE: If the vehicle is gifted to you, it will not change your car registration requirements. Special “gift requirements" only apply when titling the vehicle. Learn more on our Title Transfers page.

Transferring an Idaho Vehicle Registration

To transfer your Idaho vehicle registration to another vehicle under your name, visit any county assessor motor vehicle office with:

  • The vehicle's title.
    • If the car you're transferring the plates to is brand new, bring the pink copy of the title application that the dealership submitted for you.
  • The license plate number.
  • Payment for license plate transfer fee. Motor vehicle offices accept cash or check.

Military & Out-of-State Vehicle Registration

If you're temporarily living outside of the state for work, school, or military service, you may title and register your car with the Idaho DMV through the mail. Gather the following and submit:

  • Any member of law enforcement or a DMV agent in the state in which the vehicle is located can fill out this form.
  • An odometer reading disclosed on the title for vehicles under 2011 and under 16,000 lbs.
  • Limited Power of Attorney For Specific Motor Vehicle/Vessel (form ITD 3368). This allows the County Assessor to sign the application on behalf of the owner(s)).
  • A copy of your driver's license and proof of insurance.
  • Payment for the $21 title fee, 6% sales tax, and your registration fee (see “Vehicle Registration Fees" below).

Fees must be in the form of a check made payable to the Ada County Processing Center. Mail all original documents (keep copies for yourself) to the address on the Application for Certificate of Title form.

Idaho Vehicle Registration Fees

Idaho vehicle registration fees are annual for passenger vehicles vehicles 8,000 lbs. and under. Fees are also determined by the vehicle's age and your county of residence.

  • Passenger vehicles:
    • 1 to 2 years old: $69.
    • 3 to 6 years old: $57.
    • 7 years old and over: $45.

Motorcycles: $25.

  • Ada County Highway District fee: Additional $8.
  • Electric vehicles: Additional $140.
    • Please note that this does NOT include neighborhood electric vehicles.
  • Plug-in hybrid vehicles: Additional $75.
  • Recreational vehicle trailers: Start at $4.
  • Title fee: $21.

For vehicles being registered for 2 years, double the annual fee.

County assessor motor vehicle offices accept cash or checks.

Idaho Vehicle Inspections

VIN Inspections

All out-of-state vehicles being registered in Idaho for the first time must submit to a vehicle identification number inspection. You may have this inspection completed during registration, or you may have it completed beforehand by your local law enforcement or an Idaho Transportation Department agent.

You will need to have them fill out the Vehicle or Hull Identification Number Inspection Certification (form ITD 3403) for you to submit during registration. The fee for a VIN inspection is $5.

Emissions Inspections

Emission tests are no longer required as of July 1, 2023.

Idaho License Plates

When applying for an Idaho car registration certificate, you'll have the option to choose a license plate style. You can go with a standard Idaho plate, or choose from a long list of specialized plates.

Learn more about your options on our License Plates & Placards page.

Obtain a Duplicate ID License Plate

To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged license plate, visit any county assessor motor vehicle office with:

  • Your Idaho car registration certificate.
  • Cash or check to cover the $3.75 per plate fee.


ITD 3337
Application for Certificate of Title
Application for an Idaho vehicle title.
ITD 3368
Limited Power of Attorney For Specific Motor Vehicle/Vessel
Use this form to give someone else power of attorney when dealing with title and registration procedures concerning your vehicle or vessel.
ITD 3403
Vehicle or Hull Identification Number Inspection Certificate
Submit this form to the ID Division of Motor Vehicles if your vehicle required a VIN inspection for titling and registration purposes. Must be completed by law enforcement or a Transportation Department employee.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review