Dealer Licensing in Idaho
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
In Idaho, you need a car dealer license if you sell and/or will work at selling, exchanging, or consigning 5 motor vehicles or more during 1 calendar year.
The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) handles car dealer license applications. There are several steps to submitting a successful application—keep reading for a basic idea of what you’ll need to do!
BEFORE turning in an Application for Vehicle or Vessel Dealership License (Form ITD 3170), you need to:
- Contact the Dealer Team at (208) 334-8681 to confirm that your dealership’s proposed name isn’t too similar to another dealership’s name.
- For car dealerships using a “doing business as” (DBA) name, you must ALSO file with the ID Secretary of State (SOS) office.
- Submit verification that you have filed as a corporation, limited-liability company, or limited-liability partnership, if applicable.
- If you need to file or need record of your filing, find your applicable listing on the SOS’ Business Entities portal.
- Obtain building and zoning approval.
- Apply for a seller’s permit number issued in your dealership’s name with the Idaho State Tax Commission.
- Call (208) 334-7660 or (800) 972-7660 for more information.
- Purchase a vehicle dealer performance bond for the appropriate dealership type:
- Retail dealers: $20,000.
- Wholesale-only dealers: $40,000.
- Motorcycle, ATV, utility, camper, and snow machine dealers: $10,000.
- Buy liability insurance with the following minimums:
- Bodily injury:
- $25,000 for 1 person.
- 50,000 for 2 people.
- Property damage/destruction: $15,000.
- Bodily injury:
- Complete a pre-licensing class (8 hours) and exam—used car or wholesale dealership applicants ONLY.
- Must be completed by at least 1 owner. To find an approved course, contact the Idaho State Independent Automobile Dealer’s Association at (208) 463-7709 or (800) 950-8227.
Apply for Your ID Dealer License
Once you’ve taken care of the above requirements, you can apply for your Idaho dealer license by submitting the following to the ITD:
- A completed:
- Application for Vehicle or Vessel Dealership License (Form ITD 3170).
- Personal History and Salesperson Application (Form ITD 3171) for each owner, partner, corporate officer, salesperson AND/OR director.
- If applicable, proof of pre-licensing training.
- Verification of business filing, if applicable.
- A letter of zoning approval OR the zoning official’s signature on your dealer application.
- If you’re selling new cars, the manufacturer’s letter of franchise approval for each type of vehicle/vessel being sold.
- A copy of your seller’s permit number from the ID State Tax Commission.
- Your employer identification number, assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Proof of a vehicle dealer performance bond.
- You can post this bond in the form of cash or a certificate of deposit.
- Your liability insurance certificate.
- Payment for the applicable Idaho dealer license fees.
Mail everything to:
Idaho Transportation Department
P.O. Box 34
Boise, ID 83731
Completing this application is no easy feat—if you need further assistance, call the Transportation Department’s dealer licensing number at (208) 334-8681.
ID Car Dealer License Fees
Idaho car dealer license fees are as follows:
- Initial dealer license: $190.
- Renewal: $175.
- ICAR payment: $300.
- As of July 1, 2015, wholesale-only dealers are exempt from the ICAR fee.
- Owner/officer ID: Free.
- Photo fee: $10 if a picture is taken.
- Salesperson ID: $26, plus $10 photo fee.
- Dealer license reprints: $18.
- Dealer plates: $20.74 (includes mailing and ISP fees).
- Supplemental lot license: $44 per location.
- Off-site temporary supplemental lots license:
- Initial license: $44.
- 2 dealers and up: $88.
- Temporary registrations (30 days): $180.
- Available only for out-of-state residents.
For more information on which fees specifically apply to you and your dealership, call the ID Transportation Department’s dealer licensing number at (208) 334-8681.
Car Dealership Inspections in Idaho
After you complete the application process, an inspector will examine your principal business location.
You become eligible for a temporary license, valid for 90 days, if your business location meets all requirements. After a successful follow-up audit, to be completed 90 days after the initial inspection, you’ll receive your permanent ID dealer license!
For specifics, refer to the state’s principal place of business requirements.