Replacing a Lost Registration in Iowa

Duplicate Registration, Stickers, and License Plates in Iowa

If your vehicle registration documents, license plate registration stickers, or license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you should request replacements from the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) as soon as possible.

Your registration card is proof that you are legally allowed to drive your vehicle on Iowa roads. State law requires that all vehicles be registered. In addition, vehicle registrations are renewed on a yearly basis according to the date of your birth.

Unlike your certificate of title, you should always keep your registration card in your vehicle. In fact, if you are ever stopped by a police officer while driving, he or she will ask to see your driver's license and registration.

License plates and your current vehicle registration stickers should be affixed to your vehicle at all times. If they are not on your vehicle, you run a high risk of getting pulled over by a law enforcement officer, receiving a ticket, having to pay a fine, and possibly having your vehicle towed and impounded.

On this page you'll find general information about replacing your vehicle registration, license plate stickers, and license plates.

NOTE: If you suspect that any of your documents or items have been stolen, you should file a police report with your local law enforcement agency along with contacting the Iowa Department of Transportation for replacements.

For specific information pertaining to your situation, please contact the Iowa DOT.

Replacing a Lost Registration in Iowa

If your Iowa vehicle registration card is lost or damaged, you should obtain a duplicate as soon as possible to avoid potential fines. Fortunately, it's easy to request a new card at your Iowa county treasurer's office.

There are typically no complicated forms to complete . You'll most likely need to provide the Iowa DOT with your license plate number, name, and address, and pay a replacement registration fee. You may also be able to obtain replacement validation stickers at this time, if necessary.

Iowa License Plate Sticker Replacements

If you need a replacement for the license plate validation sticker that is mailed with your yearly vehicle registration, visit your Iowa county treasurer's office during regular business hours.

If you have the current vehicle registration card, bring it with you to receive a free replacement validation sticker. If not, you'll typically need to apply for a replacement registration card and pay the fee before you can receive replacement validation stickers.

NOTE: If your current vehicle registration stickers are not on your license plate, you could face tickets and fines.

Replacing Your License Plates in Iowa

If you've lost or damaged your vehicle's license plates, you can request replacement plates at your county treasurer's office. However, you will need to provide proof of your current vehicle registration and pay a fee for this service.

If you don't have your license plates or if your license plates are damaged beyond the point of being able to be read, you should not drive your car until you are able to obtain replacements.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG