Replacing a Lost CDL in Iowa
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Replace your lost commercial driver's license with the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT). You can apply for a replacement CDL in person at your local DOT office; if you're out of state, you MIGHT be able to apply for a temporary CDL by mail or fax.
illegal to operate any commercial truck or other commercial vehicle without a valid CDL, so wait until you have your replacement before you get back to work. Also, be sure to report your lost CDL to the appropriate authorities. The IA DOT's Bureau of Investigation & Identity Protection provides instructions on how to protect your identity in the event of a lost or stolen license.
In-State Replacement CDL in IA
Head to your local DOT office and be prepared to:
- Complete a CDL application.
- Provide required proofs of identification and residency.
- The IA DOT helps you prepare a list based on your situation.
- Additionally, you might need to provide CDL-specific documents such as your medical certification or proof of endorsement(s).
- Pay the fee.
- As a commercial driver, you MIGHT need to pay additional fees for commercial endorsements.
Out-of-State IA Duplicate CDL
Generally, the IA DOT doesn't issue duplicate licenses if you're currently out of state; however, it does issue temporary licenses and you MIGHT be eligible as a commercial driver. Contact your local DOT office or call the Office of Driver Services at (515) 244-8725, to see if you're eligible.
If you must make your application for a temporary CDL in writing, and it must include your:
- Full name.
- Driver's license number OR Social Security number.
- Birth date.
- Delivery method (i.e. mail or fax).
- Depending on your choice, include your current out-of-state mailing address or fax number.
Send the application by:
- Fax: (515) 239-1837.
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- P.O. Box 9204
- Des Moines, IA 50306
Contact the IA DOT for information on when you should expect your temporary CDL.