Motorcycle Registration in Iowa
Before riding a motorcycle in Iowa, you’ll need to register it with the IA Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). Below are the steps you’ll need to take to register your motorcycle as a new resident AND as a current Iowan who recently purchased a bike.
Looking to renew your motorcycle registration? Head over to our Iowa registration renewals guide!
New to Iowa
Upon establishing Iowa residency, you’ll have 30 days to register your motorcycle with the MVD by submitting the following items at your local county treasurer’s office:
- A completed:
- Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration (Form 411007) if you own the bike.
- Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration for a Leased Vehicle (Form 411179) if you’re leasing the bike.
- Your current out-of-state motorcycle title.
- Your IA motorcycle license.
- Proof of Iowa motorcycle insurance.
- Payment for the appropriate motorcycle registration fees and taxes.
Still settling in after your move? Head over to our Iowa moving guide for more helpful tips on making the transition as easy as possible.
Registering Your IA Motorcycle
The steps to registering your motorcycle with the Motor Vehicle Division will differ depending on whether you bought your bike from a dealership OR from an individual. Below, we’ve outlined the processes for motorcycle registration in both instances.
Motorcycles Sold by Dealers
When you buy a motorcycle at a dealership in Iowa, the dealer will usually complete the registration for you. For a breakdown of what you’ll pay (typically included in the purchase price), check out our section below on motorcycle registration fees and taxes.
The dealership may provide you with temporary tags and registration paperwork until your permanent documents arrive in the mail.
If the dealership does not register the bike for you, follow the applicable steps below.
Motorcycles Sold by Individuals
You have 30 days from the purchase date to register a motorcycle bought from a private seller. To do so, bring the following items to your local county treasurer’s office:
- A completed:
- Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration (Form 411007) if you own the motorcycle.
- Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration for a Leased Vehicle (Form 411179) if the motorcycle’s on a lease.
- A proof of ownership document:
- Manufacturer’s certificate of origin (new bikes).
- The motorcycle’s title signed by the buyer AND seller (used bikes).
- If the title doesn’t have space to include an odometer reading, include an Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 411077) with your application.
- A proof of purchase document:
- A bill of sale.
- Loan documents (if applicable).
- You may need to contact the lender to obtain the proper paperwork.
- The applicable motorcycle registration fees and taxes.
Still need to title the motorcycle in your name? Check out our IA title transfers guide for more!
Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes
Below are the base fees you may have to pay to register your motorcycle with the Iowa Motor Vehicle Division:
- Motorcycle registration:
- Models 1 to 5 years old: $20.
- Models 6 years old and up: $10.
- Taxes: Vary according to your IA county of residence—call your local county treasurer’s office for specifics.