DUI Attorneys in Iowa
If you're charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)—also referred to as a DWI—in Iowa, you may need to hire a DUI attorney to assist you. Iowa DWI lawyers can represent you in court, and inform you about DUI penalties and court procedures.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Hiring a DUI Attorney in Iowa
You may find a lot of DUI lawyers in Iowa who can assist you with alcohol-related traffic violations. Use the following tips to help you choose your DUI attorney:
- Ask for a referral. Your friends or family may have hired a DWI attorney or know of a lawyer who specializes in DUI cases.
- Find a lawyer with DUI experience. Be sure to select someone with expertise in DUI/DWI cases.
- Search your local area. You'll be better off working with a lawyer who has experience with local courts and knowledge of Iowa traffic laws.
- Schedule a few meetings. Since consultations are normally free, you should take the time to meet with multiple DUI attorneys before you hire someone.
- Understand your attorney's fees. Before you commit to a DUI attorney, be sure to ask about fees and find out when your payment is due.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
You will face a DUI charge in Iowa if:
- You were driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or more.
- You can be charged for a DUI with a lower BAC level if you are a commercial driver or have a provisional driver's license.
- You refused a BAC test.
When choosing a DUI lawyer, you should check whether they've worked on other DUI cases similar to yours.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
Since DUI offenses result in criminal charges in Iowa, you may need a DUI attorney to ensure your case goes smoothly and to minimize your penalties and charges. Here are some examples of what a DUI attorney can do for you:
- Represent you in court.
- Help you decide on your plea and/or testimony (if applicable).
- Complete and submit all required paperwork to your court.
- Walk you through the Iowa court process and potential outcomes.
NOTE: While you can inquire about the strength of your case and chances of dismissal, a DUI attorney cannot guarantee any outcome.
Penalties for a DUI in IA
If you plead or are found “guilty" of your DUI charge, you'll face several penalties depending on your specific case. In Iowa, most DUI convictions result in:
- A suspension of your IA driver's license by the Department of Transportation. This is in addition to any criminal charges. Revocation periods vary. For failing a BAC test your driver's license will be revoked for:
- 180 days for your 1st conviction.
- 1 year for your 2nd conviction within 12 years.
- 6 years for your 3rd conviction within 12 years.
- Hefty fines.
- Jail time.
- Mandatory completion of a substance-abuse evaluation or treatment program.
- Having an ignition interlock device installed in your car.
A DUI attorney can help you prepare your case and make the entire process much easier.
NOTE: If your IA driver's license is revoked and you're caught driving with it, you'll face new misdemeanor charges and a $1,000 fine.
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote