Driving Records in Iowa
Driving Records in Iowa
A driving record or driver record is an official document that contains information about your driving history. In Iowa, driving records are administered by the IA Department of Transportation (DOT) Office of Driver Services.
Information on Your Iowa Driving Record
In Iowa, your certified driver record shows your comprehensive driving history for the last 5 years or more, including:
- Traffic accidents
- Traffic violations.
- License suspensions.
If you've had your IA driver's license revoked because of operating while intoxicated (OWI), this will stay on your record for 12 years.
In Iowa, the completion of a driver improvement course does not clear your record of any violation or accident entries. It may, however, lower your car insurance premiums and help you avoid getting traffic tickets in the future. For more information, see our Traffic Schools in Iowa page.
Who Can See Your Driving Record
Insurance companies, organizations, potential employers, and government agencies can order your Iowa driving record for a number of reasons including:
- For use in court as part of a lawsuit.
- To conduct a background check as part of a pre-employment screening.
- As part of a company's standard policy.
- To check on an insurance claim or to set an insurance policy.
If you are a business or organization, and you need to order someone else's driving record in Iowa, see “ Ordering an Iowa Driving Record" below.
Ordering an Iowa Driving Record
You can order your own certified IA driving record in person, by mail, or online.
If you are ordering someone else's certified IA driver record, you can only do so by mail or in person. You must also attach proof of their written consent.
In Person or By Mail
To order an Iowa driving record in person, you'll need to submit:
- A completed Privacy Act Agreement For Request of Motor Vehicle Records (Form 431069).
- You only need to complete Sections A and D if you are requesting your own driving record.
- Your IA driver's license or non-driver identification card.
- Proof of written consent, if you're ordering the driver record of another driver.
- Payment for the $5.50 fee.
- If ordering by mail, make a check out to “Treasurer, State of Iowa."
Bring the above to your local Iowa DMV office, or mail them to:
Office of Driver Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306
You can only order your own certified Iowa driving record online. If you need someone else's driver record, you'll need to order it by mail or in person.
Visit the Iowa myMVD website and:
- Enter your:
- Date of birth.
- Last 5 digits of your Social Security number (SSN).
- Iowa driver's license number or identification card number.
- Provide a credit/debit card for the $5.50 fee, plus a $1.50 service charge.
Correct Errors on Your IA Driving Record
It is important to make sure your IA driver record is accurate, as incorrect information could lead to increased car insurance premiums, fines, and even driver's license suspension.
If you need to correct your Iowa driving record, contact the IA Department of Transportation at:
- (800) 532-1121 (toll-free in Iowa only).
- (515) 244-8725.
heroes have registered as organ donors.