DMV Office Finder in Iowa
COVID-19 Effects on Licensing & Vehicle Services
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, state DMVs nationwide have closed office locations, extended license and registration expiration dates, and/or limited the transactions they are processing. If possible, residents should use the MVD's online services to complete any relevant transactions. Follow the MVD's most recent updates for the latest information.
Iowa DMV Office Locations
In Iowa, the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) oversees all vehicle and driver-related activities, and includes the following departments:
- Customer Services Bureau—handles all driver-related tasks.
- Office of Vehicle Services—handles all vehicle-related issues.
All in-person vehicle services are provided at your local county treasurer's office.
Depending on the county you live in, you may be able to go to your county treasurer's office OR an MVD driver license issuance location to take care of driver-related tasks.
Find your nearest county treasurer's office or driver license issuance site by choosing your county below OR entering your zip code above.
Iowa MVD Office Services
The services provided by Iowa MVD office branches include (but aren't limited to):
- Vehicle registration.
- Titling & title transfers.
- Applying for a:
- Administering the following licensing tests:
Skip the Lines & Save Time
Consider using one of the following time-saving services to avoid waiting in line at the MVD office branch all day:
- Utilize various online services provided by the Iowa MVD and third-party companies, which may ultimately save you a trip to the agency office.
- Schedule an appointment with a Motor Vehicle Division office branch ahead of time if your task allows for it.
Third-Party CDL Test Sites
If you're applying to get your Iowa commercial driver's license, you'll need to take the behind-the-wheel skills test. For your convenience, the Motor Vehicle Division allows you the option of taking the test at a third-party location (usually a community college).
To find the third-party CDL road tester closest to you, take a look at the Iowa MVD's list of CDL testing locations.
Contact the Iowa MVD
There are several ways to get in touch with the Iowa Motor Vehicle Division's main offices.
To contact the MVD via live chat OR e-mail, visit their help center webpage.
- Driver licensing: (515) 244-8725
- Vehicle registration: (515) 237-3110
Customer Services Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306
Office of Vehicle Services
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, IA 50306