Name Change in Iowa

Summary: How to Change Your Name in Iowa

If you've recently legally changed your name with the Social Security Administration, you'll then need to notify the Iowa DMV in person and have your driver’s license/ID card and car documents updated. You'll need to provide proof of the name change, listed below, as well as payment for the replacement documents.

For instructions on how to change your name on Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) records, continue reading this page.

Change Your Name with the SSA

When you change your name for any reason—such as marriage or divorce—you'll need to report the change to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and get a corrected Social Security card.

It's advisable to complete this step first before changing your name on your driver's license, as the IA DOT may verify your name change with the SSA. If your new name isn't reflected on SSA records, this may cause some problems and delays.

To change your name on your Social Security card, submit the following documents to the SSA either by mail or in person:

  • Proof of your identity (e.g. ID card, driver's license, passport).
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (if not already on file) OR lawful U.S. presence (e.g. citizenship certificate, working visa and I-94 print out, U.S. passport).
  • Proof of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).
  • Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

Your updated Social Security card will arrive in the mail in about 14 business days after processing.

For more information, including a complete list of documents required, visit the SSA website.

IA Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

To change your name on your Iowa driver's license or ID card, you must visit your local driver’s license issuance office in person. You will need to provide:

  • An original document proving your name change.
  • Payment for the $10 fee.

You will receive an updated IA driver's license or identification card showing your new name.

Car Registration and Title Name Change

When you visit the IA DOT office to update your driver's license, ask about changing your name on your car registration and title certificate also. You may be required to apply for duplicate copies of these documents.

For more information, visit our following pages:

Contact the Iowa DOT directly for specific instructions and required fees.

Fees to Change Your Name in Iowa

To change your name on your IA Department of Transportation (DOT) documents, you may need to pay the following fees:

  • Driver's license or ID card: $10.
  • Certificate of title: $25.

For more information about fees and accepted payment methods, contact your local Iowa DOT office directly.

Change Your Iowa Address

If you have changed your address in Iowa, you must notify the DOT within 30 days of your move. You can do this either in person, by mail, or online.

NOTE: If you want an updated IA driver's license showing your new address, you must change your address in person. You will not receive a replacement driver's license if you update your address by mail or online.

For more information about updating your address on your driver's license and car registration, visit our Change of Address in Iowa page.


Application for a Social Security Card
Application for a Social Security card. Completed form must be submitted to a Social Security office.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review