Change of Address in Iowa

How to Change Your Address in Iowa

You are required to notify the Iowa DOT of a mailing address change within 30 days. If your residential address changes you will need to apply for a new license or ID card. 

To learn how to change your address with the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) and obtain updated documents, continue reading this page.

How to Change Your Residential or Mailing Address in Iowa

If you've changed your residential or mailing address, you will need to notify the Iowa DOT. If you change your mailing address you are required to notify the DOT within 30 days of the change. There are different ways to update your information depending on whether you are changing your residential or mailing address.

Residential addresses can be updated :

You will pay a $10 fee for a new driver's license or ID card.

For more information visit our following pages:

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Mailing addresses can be updated:

A mailing address change only updates the DOT address where official notices are sent.

Change Address In Person

To change your residential or mailing address in person, you will need to visit your local Iowa DOT driver's license office or a driver's license kiosk.

If you only changed your mailing address, the IA DOT will update your records only.

Change Address Online

You can ONLY change your mailing address online.  You will need to login using your:

  • Name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Social Security number (last 5 digits only).
  • Driver's license/ID card number.

By Mail or Fax

To update your mailing address with the IA DOT by mail or by fax, you'll need to complete a Change of Address Notice (Form 430012) and submit it:

  • By fax to (515) 237-1837.
  • By mail to:
Customer Services Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306

Car Registration/Title Address Change

If you've moved to a different Iowa county, you'll need to contact your previous county treasurer's office and let them know your new address. You must do this within 10 days of moving.

The Iowa DOT will forward your vehicle registration information to your new county of residence.

If you'd like updated vehicle documents reflecting your change of address, you'll need to apply for replacements. See our following pages for instructions:

New Iowa Residents

As a new resident of Iowa, you'll need to complete some tasks with the IA Department of Transportation (DOT) soon after your arrival.

Register Your Car

If you've moved to Iowa from another state, you'll need to register any vehicles you have within 30 days of becoming a resident. You must do this even if your out-of-state registration hasn't expired.

Visit your local IA DOT office with your certificate of title, registration application, and payment for the registration fee.

Visit our Car Registration page for more information.

Transfer Your Driver's License

Once you become an Iowa resident, you'll need to transfer your out-of-state driver's license to the IA DOT.

You'll need to visit your local Iowa DOT office in person and:

  • Show proof of your identity, IA address, and Social Security number (SSN).
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pay the required fee.

Visit our guide to Applying for a New License in Iowa for more information.

Change Your Name in Iowa

If you've recently had your name changed legally, you'll need to inform the Iowa DOT by visiting your local office in person.

You will need to provide proof of your name change and pay the fee for a replacement driver's license/ID card.

Our Changing Your Name page has all the information you need. 


Change of Address Notice
Use this form to change your address with the Iowa DOT either by fax or mail. Send it to the address indicated on the form.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review