Dealer Forms in Iowa

To apply for a motor vehicle dealer's license to sell at retail in Iowa, you must start by completing aApplication for a Motor Vehicle or Travel Trailer Dealer License (Form 417008). You will also need a Dealer Bond which can be obtained through an Iowa licensed bonding company or your insurance agent.

Forms can be viewed, saved, and printed using the free Adobe Reader software.

The application for a motor vehicle dealer's license is based on the regulations outlined in Iowa's vehicle code. You'll be asked to provide information on the scope of your business activities, financial liability coverage, compliance with zoning laws, and franchise agreements.

Completed motor vehicle dealer's license forms should be mailed to the following address:

  • Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services
  • Iowa Department of Transportation
  • P.O. Box 10382
  • Des Moines, IA 50306

In addition to completing your application paperwork, you'll be required to file a $75,000 surety bond with the department before you can receive a motor vehicle dealer's license. A licensed Iowa bonding company or your current insurance agent can provide assistance in preparing this documentation.

Additional Forms

A directory of forms for vehicle services, some of which are useful or required for auto dealers, is available on the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) website. Examples of forms you can find here include:

"Registration applied for" cards may be obtained free from any county treasurer's office. These cards, when affixed to the rear of a newly purchased vehicle, allow the owner to drive it legally for 45 days while the new registration and tags are being processed.


Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration of a Leased Vehicle
Apply for a title and registration for a leased vehicle from the Iowa DOT.
Damage Disclosure Statement
Complete this form when selling a used vehicle to declare any damage. MUST be signed by both the buyer and seller.
Odometer Disclosure Statement
Complete this form when transferring a vehicle to a new owner. Buyer AND seller must sign.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review