Lemon Law in Iowa
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Iowa Lemon Law
Picking out your latest set of wheels can be exciting, but it's important to remember your purchase does involve some amount of risk. For example, certain vehicles are called "lemons" because they have defects that significantly impair their value, safety, and/or use. Fortunately, Iowa law provides you with legal protection if you've purchased a lemon.
Typically, if your defective new vehicle cannot be repaired after a certain number of attempts over a certain amount of time, your vehicle's manufacturer will need to either replace your defective vehicle or refund your purchase.
Iowa's "Lemon Law" Guidelines
Iowa's lemon law protects consumers who have purchased new vehicles with substantial defects. If your new truck has chipped paint, you're probably out of luck. However, if the brakes on your minivan don't work and the repair shop just can't seem to fix them, you may have a lemon on your hands.
Lemon law guidelines apply for the first 2 years or the first 24,000 miles after your new vehicle was delivered. You may receive a refund or replacement for your vehicle if you meet one or more of the following conditions:
- You've sent your vehicle in for repairs at least 3 times for the same problem with no success.
- Your vehicle's malfunction could cause serious injury or death, and the problem has not been fixed.
- Your vehicle has been out of service for at least 20 days total and it still doesn't work properly.
NOTE: Be sure to keep records of any service reports, orders, receipts, and correspondence with the manufacturer or its authorized service agent. You'll likely need to present these documents if you file a lawsuit or need to settle an informal dispute with the manufacturer.
How Do I Claim a Lemon Law Refund?
Generally, there are three steps to follow if you wish to claim a lemon law refund in Iowa.
- If you believe you are entitled to a refund or replacement for your vehicle, you should notify the manufacturer by registered, overnight, or certified mail. Keep a copy of this notice for your personal records.
- If the manufacturer does not resolve the problem within 10 days, you may request that the manufacturer replace the vehicle or refund the purchase price, minus a fee for your use of the vehicle.
- If your request is refused or unsatisfactory, you may hire an attorney and file a lawsuit against the manufacturer. However, if the company offers a dispute resolution service, you must go through this process first.
Visit the Iowa Attorney General's website to read more about the lemon law. To learn more about your specific legal rights, consult an attorney in your area who specializes in lemon law cases. A lawyer will be able to provide advice on the best way to proceed with your case.
Hiring an IA Lemon Law AttorneyYou may want to hire an Iowa lemon law attorney if the manufacturer is refusing to reimburse you accordingly. Having a lawyer on your side can help in many ways, including representing you in court.
Choosing a lawyer to represent you with your faulty vehicle should not be done hastily. You want to make sure you do your research and hire an attorney that best suits your needs.
When consulting with lemon law attorneys in Iowa, ask the following questions:
- What experience have you had with lemon law cases in Iowa?
- Do you have a good track record?
- How long have you been practicing and what is your success rate?
- What are your fees and payment terms.
Benefits of Lemon Law Attorneys
A lemon law attorney in Iowa can be the difference between you receiving compensation or being stuck with your lemon. In addition to representing you in IA court, a lemon law attorney can:
- Intimidate the vehicle manufacturer, which can speed up the court process and result in a favorable outcome.
- Make sure you're getting what you're entitled to.
- Gather all the documents required for your case.
All in all, hiring a lawyer who specializes in IA lemon law can take the stress out of dealing with your lemon.