Replacing a Lost CDL in Hawaii

Replace your lost commercial driver's license at your county's driver license agency; some counties have specific commercial driver licensing centers.

It's easiest to apply in person, but out-of-state drivers MIGHT be able to apply by mail depending on your situation and county's policies. Be prepared to provide various identity- and CDL-related documents.

It's illegal to operate a commercial truck until you receive your duplicate CDL. Consider reporting your lost CDL to local and state authorities for identity protection.

Applying for a Duplicate CDL in HI

Each Hawaii county has a specific department that oversees the division that handles driver licensing issues. Many—if not all—Hawaii counties also have specific commercial driver licensing centers, and your driver licensing agency can direct you to the appropriate center.

The below steps and fees may vary by county. GENERALLY, when you visit the CDL center, be prepared to:

  • Undergo a background check and verification.
    • This process follows federal regulations, and the CDL center staff is able to perform and process the checks.
  • Present your current federal DOT medical card.
  • Pay a duplicate CDL fee—varies by county.

HI Replacement CDL Documents

Expect to provide some—if not all—of the same identification and residency documents you provided when you first applied for your commercial driver's license.

These may include, but are in no way limited to, your:

  • U.S. birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad.
  • U.S. passport or passport card.
  • Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Social Security card.
  • Valid vehicle registration or title.
  • Voter registration card.
  • Utility bill with your name or address.

As mentioned above, also bring your current federal DOT medical card and possibly any documents that prove your current endorsement(s). Contact your county's driver license agency for a complete list and details.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review