Replacing a Lost Title in Georgia

Replacing a Lost Title in Georgia

All duplicate titles in Georgia are processed by the GA Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).

This important document indicates ownership of a vehicle. It will be necessary when you decide to register or sell your vehicle, or if you plan to use your vehicle as collateral. If you happen to lose your GA title document, the process of replacing it is not very difficult.

Continue reading this page for all the instructions you need to get a duplicate copy of your vehicle title in Georgia.

Applying for a Duplicate GA Title

You can apply for a vehicle title by mail or in person at your local MVD office.

To obtain a replacement title for your Georgia vehicle, you'll need to:

  • Complete Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1).
    • Do NOT list or record any lien release or security interest information on your application.
  • Submit a Lien Release (Form T-4) for each lienholder, if your lien has been satisfied.
    • If you did not apply for a clear title when your lien was satisfied, the Georgia MVD will still have the lien recorded on your title.
  • Have your current valid GA driver's license or ID card.
  • Surrender your mutilated title, if applicable.
  • Pay the $8 replacement fee.

NOTE: All owners listed on the original title will need to go to your local Tax Commissioner's office to complete the application or you'll need to get a limited power-of-attorney from those who can't appear in person.

Never Received Your Title?

If you are applying for a replacement title for one you never received, then no fee will be charged.

To obtain a duplicate title in GA after not receiving your title in the mail, you'll need to:

If you are applying for a title for a vehicle whose loan has been paid off, you'll need to complete a Lien Release (Form T-4) and submit it with the title application.

Name Change

If you recently changed your name, it's a good idea to update the name on your vehicle title as soon as possible. You'll need to provide the proper documentation to show the change.

To proceed, visit your local Georgia MVD office and:

  • Provide a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order, if your name has changed since your original title application.
  • Complete the Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1) in your new name.
  • Show your Georgia driver's license or ID card.
  • Submit payment for the $18 title fee.

For more information and details about how to update your name in Georgia, please visit our page about Changing Your Name.

Out of State?

Former Georgia residents may apply for a replacement title at the Motor Vehicle Division or through your previous Tax Commissioner's office.


Motor Vehicle Title/Tag Application
Application to title AND register your car with the Georgia MVD.
Notice of Satisfaction of Security Interest or Lien Holder's Affidavit
Use this form to notify the MVD of a release a lien on a vehicle you're replacing OR transferring the title on.
Affidavit of Georgia Certificate of Title Lost in the Mail
Submit this affidavit if your Georgia vehicle title was lost in the mail and you need a replacement. Must be notarized.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review