Replacing a Lost License in Georgia

Replace Your License in Georgia

If your GA driver's license, permit, or ID has been lost or stolen, you need to replace it with the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) right away.

It's illegal to drive without a permit or license, and a lost or stolen photo ID can end up in the wrong hands and compromise your identity.

Report Your Lost or Stolen GA Driver's License, Permit, or ID

If your Georgia driver's license, permit, or ID has been lost or stolen, it's important to report it to your local police department right away, especially if you know that it has been stolen.

The GA DDS allows you to get a replacement license or ID by bringing in a copy of your police report; it must state that your driver's license or ID card was compromised or stolen.

You may apply for a new driver's license or ID card number IF you present a police report that clearly states that your license or ID card was stolen.

Check out our page on identity theft for more information on protecting yourself.

Apply for a Replacement GA Driver's License

The GA DDS lets residents of the state apply for a duplicate driver's license, ID, or permit either in person or online. Note that certain eligibility requirements apply to use of the online system.

Upgrading to a REAL ID

If you wish to replace your license with a REAL ID-compliant Secure ID, you MUST do so in person. Jump down to the in-person steps below.

Apply Online

In order to apply for a duplicate license or ID online, you must:

  • Be replacing a non-commercial driver's license, permit, or ID.
    • See below for instructions on replacing a CDL.
  • NOT be replacing a suspended, revoked, or canceled license.
  • Be a resident of GA.
  • Be a citizen of the United States.

NOTE: You may are limited on how many times you can replace a lost licenr per year.

If you qualify to request a replacement online, you may do so by going to the DDS online service and:

  • Creating an account*.
    • When setting up your account, you'll be asked to provide your name, SSN, date of birth, license or ID number, issue date, and class.
  • Following the prompts.
  • Paying the applicable fee (see Replacement Fees" below).

* You need set up a new account if:

  • You don't already have one.
  • You were required to enter a renewal identification number (RIN) to renew your driver's license or ID card.

It will take about 30 days for your replacement license to be delivered to the Post Office. However, if you had to change your address at the time you requested a replacement, delivery to the Post Office typically takes 30 days.

Apply In Person

To replace your lost or stolen driver's license, instruction permit, or ID card in person, go to your local DDS Customer Service Center with:

  • Payment for the applicable fee (see “Replacement Fees" below).
    • You can pay via cash, check/money order, MasterCard or Visa debit and credit cards.
  • Required documents (Proof of identity, SSN, & residency) from the full list of acceptable documentation.

Secure ID Requirements

The GA DDS now offers Secure IDs to provide enhanced protection against identity theft and increase the integrity of your license or ID. If you are replacing an unexpired license or ID that is not a Secure ID, you have the choice to upgrade or wait until time of renewal.

If you are upgrading to a Secure DL/ID, you must bring the following documents with you when applying for your replacement.

  • 1 document for primary identity.
  • 1 document for Social Security number.
  • 2 documents for residency.
  • If your name has changed, you must provide proof of your legal name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.).
    • This requirement does not apply if your name matches that on your primary document.

NOTE: Your proof of ID must be in the name as it appears on your driver's license or ID. If you present a document from Category A that has a different name, you must present an additional document from Category B in the current name on your license.

All identification documents must be in English when presented to the DDS. If you need a translator contact the Department of Driver Services for a list of approved translators.

Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a citizen of the United States and need to get a duplicate driver's license, then your only option is to do so in person at your local DDS office. Be prepared to bring payment and original documents to prove your identity and your lawful presence in the U.S.:

  • Proof of identity. Examples include:
    • Unexpired foreign passport with both a valid U.S. Visa and a valid I-94, I-797, or Visa waiver stamp.
    • Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Proof of lawful presence in the U.S. Examples include:
    • I-766.
    • Valid foreign passport.

The GA DDS provides specific acceptable documents that will be required for non-U.S. citizens to get a replacement driver's license or ID card.

If you plan to upgrade to a Secure ID, make sure you also bring the required documents listed in “Apply In Person" above.

Replacement Fees

The fee for a replacement GA driver's license, learner's permit, or ID is provided below.

  • Driver's license: $10.
  • Instruction permit: $10.
  • ID card: $10.
  • Limited permit: $20.
  • Habitual Violator Probationary Driver's License (HVPL): $20.

However, the cost may be more if you have exceeded the limit of replacement licenses per year.

If you are requesting a replacement within 150 days of the original issue date, the DDS will process the transaction like a renewal and apply renewal fees and a new term.

New License/ID Numbers

If you choose to apply a new number to your replacement to protect your identity, the fee will increase as follows:

  • 8-year license: $32. 
  • 8-year ID: $32.

Out-of-State GA Driver's License Replacement

If your driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged while you are temporarily out of state, you don't have many options. You must apply for a replacement in person or online (see above). You can only apply online if you know your driver's license number, and the GA DDS will not send replacement driver's licenses to out-of-state addresses.

However, you may be able to renew by mail up to 150 days prior to the expiration date or if the card is not expired more than 2 years. Check out our page on renewing your license in GA for more information.

Call DDS customer service at (678) 413-8400 to see what your options are if you need a duplicate license before returning to the state.

New-to-State Drivers

If you are new to GA and your out-of-state license, permit, or ID card has been lost or stolen, the DDS requires that you present either a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report (MVR) from your previous state.

If you are presenting an MVR, the date must be within the last 60 days. You may request that a fax be sent directly to the DDS from another state agency; however, you may not use an uncertified copy printed from the web.

Lost Georgia Commercial Driver's License

If your GA CDL is lost, stolen, or destroyed, you must apply for a replacement in-person. (See Apply In Person" above.)

Additional information for getting a duplicate CDL may be found on our CDL Section.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review