Renewing Your License in Georgia
Renewing Your Georgia Driver's License
Before your GA driver's license expires, you will need to renew it with the Department of Driver Services (DDS).
On this page you'll find information on renewing your driver's license online, in person, and by mail.
If you are renewing a commercial drivers license in Georgia, please see our Renewing Your CDL in Georgia page.
If you need to renew your ID card, please see our Identification Cards in Georgia page.
When to Renew Your GA Driver License
The Georgia DDS offers driver's licenses valid for 8 years.
Before you renew, determine the status of your license and follow the appropriate steps below.
Valid Driver's License
You can renew a valid/current Georgia driver's license up to:
- 150 days before the expiration date.
- 2 years after it expires.
You have the option to renew online, in person, or by mail.
Please note, if you are 64 years old or older, you must pass a vision exam.
You will receive your new GA driver's license within 7 days.
NOTE: If you are renewing your Georgia driver's license for the first time since July 1, 2012 or you do not hold a Secure ID driver's license, you must renew in person.
Expired Drivers License
If your Georgia driver's license has been expired for more than 2 years, you'll need to visit a GA DMV office in person to pass the following tests:
- Road signs.
- Road rules.
- Road skills.
Suspended Driver License
If your Georgia driver's license is suspended, you cannot renew your license. You'll need to reinstate your driving privileges.
For more information, please see our Suspended License in Georgia page.
Check Your Driving Record
Is your driver's license valid or suspended? Check your driving record to find out.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Drivers License
If your GA driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can still renew it as long as you know your driver's license number and issue date.
If you need to replace your GA driver's license, please see our Replacing a Lost License in Georgia page.
Online Driver License Renewal
You can renew your driver's license online if:
- You hold a Secure ID driver's license (includes a gold star in the top right corner).
- You have a non-commercial driver's license.
- Your license is not suspended.
- You are 64 years old or younger.
- You are a Georgia resident.
- You are a U.S. citizen.
To renew online, you'll need to first register for an online customer account by visiting the GA DMV website. You'll need to provide your:
- Social Security number (SSN).
- First and last name.
- Date of birth.
- Driver's license number.
- Driver's license issue date.
- License class.
Log in to your Georgia DDS online account to renew your GA driver's license online.
You'll need a credit or debit card to pay the renewal fee. (See the “Fees to Renew Your Driver License in Georgia" section below.)
In-Person Driver License Renewal
To renew your Georgia driver's license in person, visit your local Georgia Department of Driver Services office and:
- Provide original or certified copies of:
- 1 document proving your identity, such as your:
- Valid U.S. passport.
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. citizenship certificate.
- 1 document proving your SSN, such as your:
- Social Security card.
- W-2 form.
- Social Security annual statement.
- 2 documents proving your GA residency, such as your:
- Bank statements.
- Utility bills.
- Rental agreements.
- 1 document proving your identity, such as your:
- Complete an Application for Driver's License, Permit, or Identification Card (form DDS-23).
- Have your photo taken.
- Pay the renewal fee. (See the “Fees to Renew Your Driver License in Georgia" section below.)
You will receive a temporary driver's license to use until you receive your new card. If you don't receive your license in the mail, you can contact the GA DDS to check the status of your renewal.
NOTE: If your legal name has changed and is different than your name on your document proving your identity when you renew, you must also provide a document proving your name change, such as a:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
For more information about changing your name on your Georgia drivers license, please see our page on Changing Your Name in Georgia.
Out-of-State Renewal by Mail
You can only renew your driver's license by mail if you are:
- A military member stationed out of state.
- A student attending school out of state.
- Temporarily employed out of state.
- A dependent/spouse of any of the above.
- Physically disabled and unable renew in person or online.
To renew your Georgia driver license by mail, you'll need:
- A completed mail-in renewal package.
- Payment for your renewal fee. (See the “Fees to Renew Your Driver's License in Georgia" section below.)
Mail your necessary documents to:
DDS Special Issuance
2206 East View Parkway
Conyers, GA 30013
Once the Georgia Department of Driver Services receives your application, it will take about 10 days to process.
If you want your application processed before your GA driver's license expires, mail your completed renewal package to the GA DDS at least 30 days before your expiration date.
NOTE: You can only obtain a driver license valid for 8 years when you renew by mail.
Renewals for GA Military Residents
Notice for Military Members Stationed in Germany
If you are currently stationed in Germany, please be aware that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver's license in addition to your USAREUR license. Read our article for more information.
If you are an active-duty military member stationed out of state, you and your spouse and dependents can renew your Georgia driver license by mail. Please see the “Out-of-State Renewal by Mail" section above.
After you have been discharged or reassigned back to Georgia, you have a grace period of 6 months to renew your expired GA drivers license.
Fees to Renew Your Driver License in Georgia
It will cost you the following fees to renew a GA non-commercial drivers license:.
- 8 years (Class C, E, F, M): $32.
- Honorary drivers license: Free.
- National Guard drivers license: free.
- Veteran's driver license: free.
NOTE: Online renewals receive a $5 discount.
Accepted Forms of Payment
For in-person transactions, Georgia DMV offices accept:
- VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit/debit cards.
- Money order.
For online transactions, you can pay with the following credit/debit cards:
- American Express.
Mail-in driver license renewals can be paid by:
- Money order.
- A Credit Card Payment Authorization Form (DDS-100), also included in the mail-in package.
Credit Card Payment Authorization Form - DDS-100
Include this form when mailing payment to the Department of Driver Services by credit card, for transactions such as renewing your license or ordering a driving record.
Application for Driver's License, Permit or Identification Card - DDS-23
Department of Driver Services application for an original, renewed, OR replacement GA driver's license, permit, OR ID card.