Buying and Selling FAQs in Georgia

I am moving to Georgia from Europe and want to bring my current vehicles with me. What do I need to do?

Georgia residents who buy, or bring, a vehicle from another state, or even another country, will need to title it in the state of Georgia. You'll need to provide the following documents and visit your local tax commissioner's office.

  • Original title signed over to you or the manufacturer's certificate of origin.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Emissions inspection certificate.
  • Translated documents, if necessary. If any of the documents needed to register are not written in English, you must get them translated before making your application. See the state's information page for further details.
  • Appropriate taxes and fees.

The EPA provides a website with information on importing vehicles, as does the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

For more information, please contact the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR).

How do I get a temporary tag in Georgia?

When you buy a vehicle in Georgia, the dealer will affix a temporary tag to your purchase, whether it's new or used. That temporary tag is valid for 30 days, which usually allows enough time for all the title and registration paperwork to be processed at the Georgia DMV.

If you do not receive your temporary tag within 26 days, you may apply for one temporary tag at your local tax commissioner's office; the dealer cannot issue an extension.

You'll need to complete an Application to Extend Initial Registration Period for a Motor Vehicle Purchased from a Georgia Motor Vehicle Dealer (Form T-226) and surrender the dealer-issued tag. You'll also need to show proof of ownership, proper ID, and proof of insurance to receive the temporary tag, which is valid for an additional 30 days.

How much tax will I pay on my new car purchase?

To get an understanding of how much you'll have to pay please refer to these charts:

Other fees you may need to pay include the $18 title fee, and an additional $10 title penalty fee if you are registering late. You can call your local tax commissioner's office for a more precise amount.

It's important to remember that the total cost of a car purchase is not just the asking price. Along with state and local taxes and registration and titling fees, you'll also likely need to budget in the cost of mechanical inspections and car insurance.

What's the best way to sell my car?

Check out our Buying and Selling section for helpful tools and fun tips. Generally, your options will include:

  • Buying an ad in your local newspaper.
  • Putting an ad on an online classifieds website.
  • Talking with a local used car dealership about trade-ins, buybacks, etc.

After you find a buyer, you'll also generally need to remember to transfer the title, complete a bill of sale, cancel your registration, return your license plates, and cancel your insurance. For more information, please contact the Georgia Department of Revenue.


Motor Vehicle Title/Tag Application
Application to title AND register your car with the Georgia MVD.
Declaration Form - Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Engines Subject to Federal Air Pollution Regulations
Notify U.S. Customs when a vehicle or engine is being imported from out-of-country UNLESS a car manufacturer imports the vehicle and it has EPA certification and labeling.
Certificate of Inspection by a Duly Constituted Georgia Law Enforcement Officer
Completed by a Georgia law enforcement officer when a VIN inspection is required for registration, usually for vehicles without titles.
Registration Extension Request Affidavit
Request an extended registration deadline from the MVD if a seller hasn't provided the title to a vehicle you bought.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review