Replacing a Lost Registration in Florida

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Replacing Florida Vehicle Registrations and License Plates

If your Florida license plates of vehicle registration documents are lost, stolen, or damaged, you should apply for replacements through the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) as soon as possible.

Driving around without license plates or current registration documents may lead to traffic tickets, fines, and the possible impoundment of your car.

Need to replace your registration or license plates? Stick around, and we'll show you how to accomplish these tasks.

Replacing Your Florida Vehicle Registration

Replacing a lost or damaged registration is a breeze in Florida. You can replace your registration documents in person or online.

To request a duplicate vehicle registration in person, you'll need to visit a license plate agency or county tax collector office. You'll receive a replacement for $2.50. Be sure to bring identification. You may also need to provide the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) with proof of your car insurance policy and your license plate number.

If you don't feel like heading out in the blazing Florida sun, you may also apply for a duplicate vehicle registration online. You'll need to enter information including your:

  • Last name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Florida address.
  • Social Security number (SSN).
  • Driver's license number.
  • License plate number.

If you are requesting a duplicate registration online, you may need to be prepared to pay the replacement fee with a debit or credit card.

If you have any questions, please contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).


Replacement FL License Plates and Decals

If your license plates or decals were lost, damaged, or defaced, you'll need to request a replacement through your local county FL DHSMV license plate office. You may have the option of submitting your replacement request and necessary documents to the Florida DHSMV in person or by mail.

To request a replacement, you will need to fill out the Application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal or Parking Permit (Form HSMV 83146) and submit it to your local Florida county tax collector office.

On the application, you'll need to indicate what you need to replace and your reason for replacement. You'll need to provide the following information:

  • Your name as it appears on the current title/registration.
  • Your address.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make, model, color, and title number.
  • Your old license plate/decal number.

Along with your completed application, you'll need to provide a copy of your current vehicle registration registration card. You'll have to pay a fee (which will vary) to replace the plates or decals. Contact your local FL DMV office for information about fees.

For stolen license plates or decals, you'll need to follow the same procedure. However, you'll also need to report the theft to your local law enforcement, and indicate this on the replacement application. Replacements for stolen plates are free.

The common reasons for requesting a replacement license plate or decal include:

  • Voluntary replacement at any time during your registration period.
  • Damaged/defaced replacement when the information on the plate or decal cannot be read.
  • Lost plate or decal.
  • Stolen license plate or decal.
  • Never received/lost in the mail.

For more information, please contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).


Application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal or Parking Permit - HSMV 83146

Submit this form to the DHSMV to request a replacement Florida license plate, validation decal, OR disability parking permit.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Replacing a Lost Registration in Another State?