Replacing a Lost License in Florida

On This Page

Replacing a Lost License in Florida

A lost Florida driver license, learner permit, or identification (ID) card means you cannot legally drive and you've lost your main source of photo identification; a stolen license or ID means you're at risk for identity theft.

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) recommends reporting your lost license or ID card and applying for a replacement as soon as possible.

Report Your Lost or Stolen FL Driver's License or ID

Though not required, the state strongly recommends that you report your stolen driver's license or identification card to the DHSMV and law enforcement. When you report a stolen license, you're eligible for a free replacement; but more importantly, the police report helps protect you against identity theft under Florida law.

Before you apply for a replacement:

  • Report the theft to law enforcement.
    • An officer will provide you with a copy of the police report. Keep this - you need it to waive your replacement fee.
  • Download and complete the Identity Theft/Driver License Fraud Report (Form HSMV 72068).
  • Bring both documents to your driver license office.
    • Your replacement fee will be waived.

Reporting your stolen license does more than just save you a few bucks; it also helps prevent someone from stealing your identity. Learn more about protecting your identity on our identity theft page.

Replace Your Lost or Stolen FL License or ID

You can replace your lost Florida license, permit, or ID card online or in person. If you're a non-immigrant (i.e. you're a non-U.S. citizen who is legally in the country for work, school, or other related purposes), you must apply in person.

Alternatively, you can go ahead and renew your license or ID if you are within 18 months of the expiration date.

NOTE: Replacing a learner's permit is the same process as replacing a driver's license, and minors don't need parental signatures to apply for duplicate permits or licenses.


You can order your replacement driver's license or ID card at, Florida's Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles official online portal for various license and registration transactions.

To apply for a duplicate license online:

  • Visit
  • Select what you'll provide as your primary form of identification.
    • The drop-down menu allows you to choose your driver license or ID number, but if you don't have that memorized you can choose:
      • Your FL license plate number.
      • Your vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Provide your date of birth and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • Pay the applicable fee using a VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express debit or credit card to pay the following fees:
    • Replacement License: $25
    • Replacement ID Card: $25

The GoRenew system will guide you from there.

You won't receive a receipt to use as a temporary license, but you should receive your permanent replacement license within a couple of weeks.

In Person

Replacing a lost Florida license or ID in person involves a few more requirements, but the DHSMV recommends it because you get your duplicate license immediately.

You'll apply at your local driver license office:

  • Make an appointment if your local office allows this option (most do).
  • Present proof of identification and residency. Florida's GoGatherGet website tells you exactly which ones you need based on your transaction, but some examples for replacement licenses and ID cards include:
    • 1 document proving identification, such as:
      • An original or certified birth certificate.
      • A passport.
    • 1 document proving you Social Security number with your name, such as:
      • Your Social Security card.
      • A paycheck stub.
    • 2 documents proving residency* (faxes and computer printouts are accepted), such as:
      • Your vehicle title or registration.
      • Your mortgage statement or rental agreement.
    • Documents to prove change of name (if you've legally changed your name).
      • Original or certified copy of marriage certificate.
      • Original or certified copy of court order proving name change.
        • The document must link name on your proof of identity to your current name.
  • Pay the applicable fee with a personal check or money order:
  • Replacement License: $25
  • Replacement ID Card: $25
  • Tax Collector office service fee: $6.25.

* If you're a non-immigrant living or working in the U.S., you must provide proof of legal presence in the U.S. to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, such as your valid employment authorization card and proof of non-immigrant classification.

Out-of-State or Overseas License Replacement

You have several options to replace a lost Florida license while out of state:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • By email.
  • By phone.

You'll receive a temporary permit valid for 90 days, and you must apply for a permanent replacement license or ID when you return to Florida.

NOTE: Whichever method you choose, you must request an address change. Change your address to your current out-of-state address, and then change your address back to your permanent address once you return to the state.

Visit our Changing Your Address page for instructions.


The steps to replace your license or ID from out of state are the same as for those for applying online while in state. Please see “Replace Your Lost or Stolen Florida License or ID" above for steps on how to apply online.

By Mail, Email, or Phone

To request a temporary permit over the phone or by mail or email, gather your:

  • Full name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Social Security number.
  • FL driver license number.
  • Out-of-state address.

Email this information using the DHSMV Email Response Form OR send to the following address:

Bureau of Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 92
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0575

To request a temporary permit by phone, call the DHSMV at (850) 617-2000 and provide the information listed above to an agent.

There is no fee for the temporary permit. Once you return to Florida, apply for a permanent replacement license or ID using one of the methods explained above.

FL License Replacement for Military Members

Out-of-state military members can handle military license replacement using any of the methods described above: online, by mail, by email, and by phone.

You'll receive a temporary permit valid for 90 days at no cost, along with instructions on how to apply for a permanent military license replacement when it's time.

If your name has changed while you've been stationed out of state, click on the email response form and choose Name Change to notify the DHSMV.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL in FL

You must replace a lost or stolen CDL in person at your local driver license office.

Many counties have several driver license offices, and most specialize in specific transactions.

Be sure to call ahead for CDL-specific replacement requirements, but expect to show the same kinds of:

  • Proofs of identity (including your Social Security number).
  • Proofs of residency.
  • Your Medical Examination Report (or applicable waiver).

See our page on Applying for a CDL for more information about the general documentation required to apply for a CDL, as well as the medical self-certification process.

Finally, when you call, remember to ask about replacement fees. Drivers with endorsements should plan to pay more than they would for a straight CDL replacement.


HSMV 72068
Fraud Investigation Requests
Submit this form to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles if you're a victim of fraud or identity theft involving your driver's license or ID.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG