Replacing a Lost CDL in Florida
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Replace your lost commercial driver's license with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). If you're in state, you can do this in person at your local DHSMV office; if you're out of state, you MIGHT be able to order a temporary CDL by mail.
Remember, it's illegal to drive a commercial vehicle without a valid CDL. Refrain from operating the truck until you receive your replacement CDL. Also, Florida takes identity theft seriously and provides outlines and perks for a driver who reports a lost CDL. See below for more information.
In-Person Application for Duplicate CDL
Apply for your duplicate commercial driver's license in person with the Florida DHSMV.
The process MIGHT VARY somewhat from applying for a replacement driver's license, but when you visit your local DHSMV office be prepared to:
- Complete an application for a duplicate CDL.
- Show acceptable proofs of identity and residency.
- The state provides examples of these documents based factors specific to you such as citizenship, date of birth, and whether you've legally changed your name. Refer to Gather Go Get for your document list.
- Because you're a commercial driver, you also might need to show proofs of endorsement(s) and your medication certification.
- Pay the $25 fee.
- If you file a police report, the replacement is free. Learn more about Florida's stance on identify protection and driver license fraud .
Again, your process might vary, so contact the FL HSMV for details.
Out-of-State Temporary FL CDL
Florida does not issue replacement CDLs for drivers who are out of state; however, you MIGHT be able to get a temporary CDL valid for 90 days.
When you request a temporary license, you must provide your:
- Full name.
- Date of birth.
- Social Security number.
- Florida-issued driver's license number.
- Out-of-state address.
You can submit the request by phone at (850) 617-2000 or using the state's online email response form. Alternatively, you can mail it to:
Bureau of Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 92
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Remember, because you're dealing with a commercial driver's license, your requirements MIGHT VARY—or you MIGHT NOT have this option. Play it safe and contact the FL DHSMV before you submit your request.