Moving Out of State in Florida

Permanent Moves

If you're leaving the Sunshine State permanently, hand in your plates so they may be canceled.

If you already have the plates from your new state, you can take the Florida plates for cancellation and recycling to a county tax office.

If not, mail the plates (after obtaining your new state's plates) along with a letter requesting that the plates be cancelled to any county tax office.

You don't need to change your address with the state.

The state doesn't offer refunds on unused portions of registrations.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Temporary Moves

You're required to notify a Division of Driver Licenses office (DDL) of your address change.

Fortunately, the state makes it easy to do this by giving you four options (mail, in person, online, and phone) to accomplish this task, all of which we cover in our Changing Your Address article.

Changing your address with the DDL will not change it on your registration. To do this, you must visit a tax collector's office, unless your registration is up for renewal. In these cases, you may also change your address online while you renew your registration.

Preparing for the Move

Make matters easier for yourself either before or shortly after moving by visiting our "New to Your State" section, which gives an overview of driving-related tasks that should be tackled immediately after you settle into your new home.

Military Information

Those in the military who will be temporarily living outside Florida should check out our Drivers in the Military section for important registration and license information regarding their special situation.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review