Other Vehicle Registrations in Florida

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Florida

Most vehicle types in Florida are registered in the same way as a standard car or truck. If you have a custom-built car, your registration process will differ slightly and use a different application form. Many off-highway vehicles don't need to be registered at all in Florida; however, you will need to title them.

With the great weather that Florida is blessed with, it's no wonder that all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) are immensely popular throughout the state. Let's take a look at some of the rules and regulations regarding these vehicles.

Off-Highway Vehicles in Florida

In Florida, both all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) fall under the umbrella of off-highway vehicles (OHVs). What exactly is an OHV? It's defined by state lawmakers as any ATV, two-rider ATV, or OHM meant to be used off the state's roads and highways, and is not licensed for highway use.

OHVs must be titled in Florida, but do not need to be registered, as they aren't permitted on public highways.

NOTE: Swamp buggies and dune buggies are not considered off-highway vehicles and are not required to be titled in Florida.


This is a motorized vehicle meant for a single rider (some ATVs are designed to also take a passenger). It will be 55 inches or less in width, with an unladen dry weight of 1,500 lbs. or less. It travels on 3 tires (low-pressure) or more, and has a seat that the operator straddles. It also has a handlebar-type steering control.

When operating an ATV, it's important to remember to be safe at all times. If you're younger than 16 years old, you must be wearing a helmet whenever you're on an ATV, regardless of whether you're the driver or a passenger. Failure to do so could result in a fine.

In Florida, you are not permitted to operate your ATV on any public road, streets, or highways, unless granted permission by a relevant government authority.


An OHM is described as any motor vehicle that travels on 2 wheels or fewer, and is meant for use off of Florida roads and highways. It should also feature a seat for the rider. This doesn't include mopeds or tractors.

Additional Information

The Florida Forest Service provides additional information on off-highway vehicle (OHV) use, including public and private riding areas.

Off-Highway Vehicles in Florida

All OHVs need to be titled in Florida. If you bought your OHV before that date and use the vehicle on public lands, your vehicle also needs a title.

The titling fee is $75.25 for an electronic title and a additional $2.50 title print fee for a paper title. Apply for the title at a Florida county tax collector or driver's license office. Be sure to complete an Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (Form HSMV 82040) and follow the procedures listed in the state's Guide to Florida Low-Speed Vehicles.

For ATVs, the title decal must be affixed in a clearly visible spot on the left rear quadrant of the vehicle. For off-highway motorcycles, the decal goes on the left fork leg, in a location easily visible from the left side of the bike. Need to see a picture? The state provides visual guidance in its low-speed vehicles brochure.

Custom-Built Car Registration

If you have a custom-built car in Florida, your registration process is going to be slightly different than registering a regular car. You'll need to visit your local Florida DHSMV office and:

NOTE: To register your car as a street rod, it must be manufactured before 1949. To register your car as a custom vehicle, it must be at least 25 years old and have been produced after 1948.

Moped and Scooter Registration

In Florida, mopeds and scooters have different registration requirements:

  • A moped must be registered to be operated on public roads.
  • A scooter CANNOT be registered or operated on public roads.

You can determine whether you have a moped or a scooter based on the state's legal definitions:

  • A moped is operated while seated.
  • A scooter is operated while standing.

Additional details, such as a vehicle's engine size, distinguish a moped from a motorcycle.

For more information about mopeds and scooters, including required licenses, see our page Scooters, Mopeds, Etc. in Florida.

RVs & Motorhomes

Registering your Florida recreational vehicle is the same process as registering any standard car or truck. Visit our page on Car Registration in Florida for details.

Titles Not Needed For...

Florida titles are not required for the following:

  • Slide-in campers.
  • Modular homes.
  • Add-a-rooms.
  • Port-a-rooms.
  • Trailers weighing less than 2,000 lbs.


HSMV 83045
Application for Registration of a Street Rod, Custom Vehicle, Horseless Carriage or Antique (Permanent)
Application to permanently register an antique OR custom vehicle with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
HSMV 82040
Use this form to title your vehicle with the FL Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
Complete this form to title a vehicle in your name.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review