Drivers in the Military in Florida

Driver's License Renewal

If you're a Florida resident in the military, stationed outside of Florida, you'll still need to renew your FL driver's license as the expiration date nears. You have several options for renewal:

  • Apply for a renewal online at GoRenew. This system is accessible if you received an authorization number with your renewal notice, or if you have your current driver's license number. You may not be able to renew your license through GoRenew if the license has been expired for a certain period of time. Please note that a minimal service fee applies for all online transactions through GoRenew.
  • Request an extension by filling out aMilitary Personnel and Dependents Affidavit and Driver License Extension Application (Form HSMV 73032). Once completed, and will supporting information you can submit your application:
    • By fax: (850) 617-5034
    • By email.
    • By mailing the form and documents to the address in the instructions.

Once your request is processed, you'll receive an extension card that will remain valid until 90 days after your discharge from service. The extension card is free and available to active-duty military personnel and your dependents, including your spouse and children younger than 21 years old who live in your household.

To replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed Florida driver's license or ID card when you're stationed outside the state, simply apply for a duplicate license/ID card using the same options as you would for a renewal. You'll receive a temporary permit card, along with instructions for getting a permanent duplicate license or ID card.

Vehicle Registration

Keep your Florida registration up-to-date, even if you're stationed outside the state. Apply for registration renewal, using the same procedures listed above for license renewal.

As an owner or co-owner of the vehicle, you won't be required to keep Florida insurance on it as long as you're out of the state. However, you'll need to send in a copy of your military orders or a signed affidavit from your commanding officer, confirming the out-of-state assignment and dates. Your registration must have your out-of-state address on it. Also include a personal signed affidavit, attesting that your vehicle will not be driven within Florida.

Florida Non-Residents

Military personnel stationed in Florida, who maintain their legal residences elsewhere, are not required to register their vehicles in Florida. To drive the vehicles within Florida, however, out-of-state registrations must be kept current.


HSMV 73032
Military Personnel and Dependents Affidavit and Driver License Extension Application
Form for military members, spouses, and dependents to request an extension on driver's license renewal from the FL DHSMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review