DUI Attorneys in Florida
If you're caught driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs/alcohol—also referred to as a DWI—you may decide to hire a DUI attorney to represent you. Florida DWI lawyers can help in several ways, including explaining DUI penalties and procedures.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Hiring a DUI Attorney in Florida
You may find a lot of Florida lawyers who handle DUI charges. You can use these tips to help you pick an attorney:
- Ask for suggestions. You might know someone who has hired a DWI attorney or knows a lawyer specializing in DUIs.
- Look for experience. An attorney who specializes in DUI/DWI cases will probably be best suited to handle your case.
- Stay local. Lawyers in your area are likely to have experience with local courts and law enforcement.
- Book a consultation. Lawyers usually offer free consultations so that you can meet with them before choosing the right attorney for you.
- Know the cost. Ask attorneys about their fees and other costs before you hire them, and be sure you understand when payment is due.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
Breaking Florida's DUI laws can result in several different charges or types of charges that a DUI attorney can handle.
You might simply be charged with driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol. However, your charges may differ if you:
- Are younger than 21 years old.
- Have prior DUI convictions.
- Cause injury or death as a result of your DUI.
Some charges might be felonies, which have more serious repercussions.
When choosing a DUI lawyer, you can ask them about the specific types of charges they've handled to ensure the attorney you hire has experience with your type of case.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
Since DUI charges are criminal charges, a lawyer can help you by:
- Appearing in court on your behalf or accompanying you to court.
- Advising you about your plea, testimony, or other aspects of a trial.
- Completing and filing necessary paperwork with the courts.
- Explaining the court process and outcomes to you.
Hiring a lawyer DOES NOT guarantee that you'll get any particular outcome.
Penalties for a DUI in FL
If you plead or are found “guilty," you'll face several penalties. Most DUI convictions result in:
- A driver's license revocation by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).
- A heavy fine.
- Probation and/or jail time.
- Vehicle impoundment.
Many factors—from your charges to the judge handling your case—can influence the penalties you receive. Visit our DUI & DWI in Florida page for more information.
Having a DUI attorney represent you can mean that you'll have a better understanding of your penalties, as well as how to carry them out.
Remember, having a lawyer doesn't necessarily “get you off the hook," but it can make the DUI process easier to handle.
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote