Dealer Forms in Florida
Becoming a motor vehicle, mobile home, or recreational vehicle dealer in Florida entails a lot of paperwork and documentation, and once you've received your license, the paper trail doesn't end there. Luckily, Florida makes most of the required paperwork available online for quick download.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to download and read PDF files. Some of the forms can be filled out online and printed.
Application Forms and Documentation
To become licensed, you'll need to fill out the Application for a License as a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Recreational Vehicle Dealer (Form HSMV 86056).
Each application also requires a surety bond in various dollar amounts. Use the appropriate form for the dealer license you want:
- Surety Bond Motor Vehicle Dealer (Form HSMV 86020).
- Surety Bond Mobile Home Dealer (Form HSMV 86018).
- Surety Bond Recreational Vehicle Dealer (Form HSMV 86019).
For motor vehicle dealers, an Irrevocable Letter of Credit Motor Vehicle Dealer (Form HSMV 86057) is acceptable in place of a surety bond. Mobile home dealers can also use a letter of credit, the Irrevocable Letter of Credit Mobile Home Dealer (Form HSMV 86058).
Adjustments or Changes to Existing Licenses
To add a location to an existing license, to report a name or address change, or to report any other pertinent change of information on your license, simply download the original application,fill out the Application for a License as a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Recreational Vehicle Dealer (Form HSMV 86056) and complete the relevant sections.
Each year, you'll need to renew your license using the Renewal Application (Form HSMV 86720).
All dealers are required to keep records of sales and important details about each vehicle. While these forms are not mandatory, they are suggested by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to help you keep track of certain information. If you choose not to use these forms, you will still need to record the same type of information:
- Temporary Tag Record (Form HSMV 84016).
When you need to apply for a title without registration, use Application for a Certificate of Title without Registration (Form HSMV 82040).
To verify VIN or odometer readings on a used car that will be titled in Florida for the first time, use Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification (Form HSMV 82042). In cases where secure power of attorney is needed to verify the odometer reading, you can use Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney/Odometer Disclosure (Form HSMV 82995). This form is only a sample, however; you'll need to obtain the actual form from your regional DMV office.
Keep track of lien applications and satisfaction with these forms:
- Application for Notice of Lien/Reassignment of Lien or Notice to First Lienholder of Subsequent Lien (Form HSMV 82139).
- Lien Satisfaction (Form HSMV 82260).
Forms relating to duplicate titles:
- Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate (Form HSMV 82101).
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Title Reassignment Supplement (Form HSMV 82994): sample only.
License plate fees can be calculated using the License Plate Rate Chart. Apply for temporary plates with Application by Florida Motor Vehicle, Motorcycle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealer for Temporary License Plates (Form HSMV 83090).
One of your best resources for dealership in general will be the 80-page Florida Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, and Recreational Vehicle Dealers' Handbook, available at no charge in PDF format. This booklet will help you to know your rights and responsibilities as a dealer, and can clarify any questions you may have.
For other frequently used DMV forms, refer to our Forms and Publications section.
- HSMV 82995
- Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney/Odometer Disclosure
- Use this form to disclose a vehicle's odometer reading on behalf of a seller. Not available online. Contact the DMV for this form.
- HSMV 82994
- Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement
- This form is used when reassigning ownership of a vehicle with a non-conforming or unavailable title or MCO. Not available online.
- HSMV 82042
- HSMV 84016
- HSMV 86019
- HSMV 86020
- HSMV 86018
- HSMV 86720
- HSMV 82260
- HSMV 86057
- HSMV 86058
- HSMV 82139
- HSMV 82040