Expedited Passport

Expedited Passport Services

If you or your family is headed out of the country soon and your passports are expired, lost, or are in need of an update, an expedited passport service may come in handy.

Whether you apply for expedited passport services through a United States Department of State (DOS) passport agency or with the help of a third-party company, you should be able to get a valid passport in time for your trip.

On this page you'll find information about how you can apply for or renew a passport through the U.S. Department of State expedited passport services.

Requesting an Expedited U.S. Passport

You can request expedited passport services through the U.S. Department of State by mail or in person. Expedited services will cost $60 in addition to any other applicable mailing/application fees.

You must visit a passport agency in person if:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport.
  • Your current passport has been lost or stolen.
  • You received your current passport over 15 years ago.

Depending on the urgency of your request, your expedited passport request will usually be completed in about 3 weeks.

NOTE: If you need an expedited passport because of a life or death emergency, please contact the National Passport Information Center at (877) 487-2778.

Expedited Passport Renewal By Mail

To request an expedited service to renew your U.S. passport by mail, you'll need to:

  • Complete a U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals (Form DS-82).
  • Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of your envelope.
  • Include a check or money order for your fees payable to the U.S. Department of State.
  • Use a security envelope.
  • Use a traceable delivery service to mail your application, such as:
    • USPS priority mail with confirmation services.
    • USPS express mail with traceable delivery.

Once you have gathered your necessary documents, follow the instructions on your application and mail your required documents and fees to the address listed on the application.

For an estimate of current processing times, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

NOTE: Separate applications mailed together will not always be completed at the same time.

In-Person Expedited Passport Services

You will need to request your expedited U.S. passport service in person if you are:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport.
  • Replacing a lost or stolen passport.
  • Renewing or replacing a passport that is more than 15 years old.
To apply in person, you'll need to visit either:
  • An authorized passport facility, like a post office. (To locate a passport facility near you , please visit the U.S. Department of State website.)
  • A U.S. Department of State passport agency office. (For a complete list of passport agency offices, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.)
    • Some passport agency offices require proof of your travel plans.
    • All U.S. Department of State passport offices will require you to schedule an appointment by calling (877) 487-2778.

To complete your expedited passport service request in person, you'll need to:

  • Complete an Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11).
  • Provide proof of your U.S. citizenship and your identity.
  • Bring a recent color passport photograph.
  • Pay your passport and expedited service fees.
  • Be accompanied by your parents if you are younger than 16 years old.

For more details, please read the instructions on your application.

NOTE: Check with the passport office you plan to visit for information on acceptable forms of payment.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review