Other Licenses & Endorsements in Delaware

Special Driver's Licenses in Delaware

You may need to obtain a license or endorsement other than your regular, non-commercial driver's license if you want to drive certain types of vehicles or if you want to drive for hire.

The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers different license classes and driver's license endorsements based upon:

  • The weight of the vehicle.
  • The number of passengers a vehicle can carry.
  • What the vehicle will be used for.

On this page you'll find a brief overview of some of the special driver's license classes available through the Delaware DMV.

If you need information about applying for a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Delaware Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

You'll need a commercial driver's license (CDL) if you want to drive a vehicle that:

  • Weighs more than 26,000 lbs.
  • Can carry at least 16 passengers.
  • Transports hazardous materials.

If you are unsure whether or not you need a CDL, please see the Delaware CDL chart on the DE DMV website.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Delaware page.

School Bus Drivers

School bus drivers must have a CDL, along with school bus (S) and passenger (P) endorsements.

You are not eligible to become a school bus driver if your license has been revoked or suspended within the past 5 years. Also, you can't have accumulated more than 5 points on your driver's license within the past 3 years.

You have to undergo extensive testing and training, and also pass a criminal background check.

For more information, contact your local school district transportation supervisor.

Delaware Shuttle Bus Drivers

Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. You may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger endorsement (and any other required endorsements), depending on the weight and size of the vehicle.

Check with the Delaware DMV or contact your potential employer to find out what is needed for the particular situation.

Taxi Drivers in Delaware

If you're a prospective taxi driver, you must have a current driver's license. Then you can obtain a taxi endorsement.

You must be at least 18 years old with 1 year of driving experience, and not have had your license revoked within the past 3 years. You must also produce a certified copy of a background check showing no serious criminal offenses.

You will also need to pass a defensive driving course.

For more information, please contact the Delaware DMV.


If you're interested in becoming a chauffeur, you may need to obtain a CDL with a passenger endorsement, depending on the type of vehicle you wish to drive.

Delaware Sport Vehicle Drivers

You don't need a special license to operate an off-road or all-terrain vehicle, however, you may need a motorcycle license or endorsement.

For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Delaware page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review