Types of Special License Plates in Delaware
Many types of special license plates are available in Delaware. Your vehicle can have a vanity plate with a custom tag number or a license plate for an organization or special cause. If you qualify, you can apply for military tags or antique vehicle plates.
Read below for information about types of special license plates in Delaware.
- Ready to order your plate? Visit our page Applying for Specialty License Plates in Delaware for complete details.
- Looking for disabled parking information? See Disability Placards & Plates for application, fee, and other information.
How to Apply for Vanity Plates in Delaware
Vanity tags (also known as personalized plates) are one of the most common special license plates available from the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Your custom car tag can have up to 7 characters, (5 characters for motorcycles) including:
Custom vanity plates CANNOT have:
- Vulgar language.
- All numbers.
- Combinations of only the letters "I" and "O" and numbers "1" and "0".
- The letter "I" or the letter "O" immediately followed by a number.
- Any plate number or prefix already in use.
You can search for a vanity plate online to see if the combination you want is available.
For application details, visit Applying for Special License Plates.
Specialty License Plates
The DE DMV offers a number of specialty plates related to organizations and various interests, including charities and colleges.
You can find a complete list of special plates on the DE DMV website.
Read below for more information about the types of specialty plates available.
Charity & Non-Profit Plates
Many of the DE DMV's license plates benefit charities or other special groups. They also allow you to show your support for organizations and causes.
License plates are available for various causes and organizations, such as:
- Animal welfare.
- Environmental and conservation efforts.
- Farm preservation.
You'll pay a plate fee when you order the license plate IN ADDITION to registration fees. The plate fee varies; for example:
- The Animal Welfare plate: $50.
- Environmental plates: $50.
- The Farmland Preservation plate: $50.
A portion of the fees for these plates goes to the organization sponsoring the plate or to a related charity.
Delaware collegiate license plates are available for various:
- In-state universities, such as:
- The University of Delaware.
- Wilmington University.
- Out-of-state universities, including:
- Ohio State University.
- Johns Hopkins University.
- Fraternities and sororities, for example:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha.
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
The fee for a collegiate license plate is $10 PLUS registration fees.
For application details, see our page on Applying for Special License Plates.
Organizational License Plates
Several license plates are available for members of occupational and service organizations, such as plates for:
- The Delaware Association of Realtors.
- The Fraternal Order of Police.
- The Lions Club.
- United Auto Workers.
To be eligible for these plates, you may need to provide proof of membership in the organization that sponsors the license plate.
Organizational license plates may have an initial fee IN ADDITION to regular Delaware registration fees.
Visit our Applying for Special License Plates page for application instructions.
Military Honor Plates in DE
If you are a U.S. military veteran or relative, you may be eligible for one of Delaware's military license plates.
Among the military plates offered by the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles are tags for:
- War veterans, such as:
- Vietnam Veterans.
- Operation Iraqi Freedom vets.
- Military retirees, including:
- Army retirees.
- Marine Corps retirees.
- Recipients of military honors, including:
- The Air Medal.
- The Navy Cross.
See the DE DMV website for a complete list of available plates.
To be eligible for a military license plate, you must provide proof of current or past military service. Proof can be:
- Your discharge papers.
- A certification letter from the VA.
Fees for military license plates vary. You will pay the fee PLUS standard registration fees.
Antique Delaware Plates
Antique license plates are available for passenger vehicles, motorcycles, trucks, and other motor vehicles.
Your vehicle is eligible for an antique license plate from the DE DMV IF it:
- Is at least 25 years old based on its model year.
- Meets original specifications (original condition OR restored).
- Is used ONLY for exhibitions, car club events, and similar activities.
The fee for an antique plate is $25.