Replacing a Lost Registration in Delaware
Whether it’s been lost, stolen, or damaged, no one wants to get pulled over without a valid car registration. If you need one, make sure you get a replacement quickly to avoid an expensive ticket. Luckily, the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles has made the process for replacing a lost car registration or tag cheap and straightforward.
I Lost My Plate!
If you lost your license plate with or without your validation sticker, see our page on DE license plates and placards.
Replace a Lost DE Registration or Decal
If your current Delaware vehicle registration card or plate sticker is lost, stolen, or damaged, you'll need to visit your local DMV in person to get a replacement. The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does NOT offer vehicle registration document replacements online or by mail at this time.
Be prepare to provide:
- Proof of your current car insurance policy.
- Your license plate number.
- Payment for the applicable duplicate fee:
- Registration card: $10.
- Decal/sticker: $5.
If you have any questions pertaining to your specific situation, please contact the Delaware DMV.
DE Duplicate Registration Fees
The costs associated with replacing a lost registration or decal in Delaware are:
- Replacement registration: $10.
- New validation sticker: $5.
Common Reasons for Registration Replacements
Whenever you a requesting a duplicate vehicle registration document, whether it's a license plate, sticker, or registration card, you should be prepared to explain the reason for your request. Below are some of the common reasons that require a replacement credential and the additional steps that may accompany them.
- Lost or stolen registration, plates, or stickers.
- If your items have been lost or stolen, you should contact your local authorities and file a police report. Someone could try to steal your identity or affix your license plates to a stolen vehicle.
- Damaged or mutilated documents.
- If your registration items are damaged or mutilated beyond the point of recognition and legibility, you should apply for a replacement. If a Delaware law enforcement officer cannot verify the information on your documents, it is just the same as if they weren't there. If your items are damaged, you may have to surrender them to the Delaware DMV when you request your replacements.
- Incorrect information.
- If your registration documents have been printed with the wrong information, you should request a replacement to correct it. The Delaware DMV may waive any replacement fees for incorrect items if they were at fault.
- Never received your documents.
- If you have recently renewed your registration, but never received your updated documents, they may be lost in the mail and you may need to apply for duplicates.