Replacing a Lost Title in Delaware

Replacing a Lost Title in Delaware

Life happens. No matter how careful you are, important documents like your car's title can be lost, stolen, or damaged so that they are illegible. When this happens, you can order a duplicate title through the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles so that you can get on with selling a vehicle or using it as collateral for a loan.

Continue reading this page for all the information you need in regards to the process of applying for a duplicate Delaware title.

Applying for a Duplicate Delaware Title

You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at your local DE DMV office.

Replacing your lost vehicle title in Delaware requires several documents, but it's fairly easy to obtain once you've gathered all the information. You'll need to submit the following to your local DMV office:

  • An Application for Duplicate Title (Form MV 213) must be completed, then signed by all owners of the vehicle.
    • If you and another person co-own the vehicle, you will both have to sign.
    • The driver's license number of each owner is needed for the form.
    • All owners can go in person to the DMV, or a limited power-of-attorney can be signed (check out a sample form).
  • Payment for the $50 duplicate title fee.
    • If there is a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder will need to complete part of the application and the fee will be $55.
  • An odometer disclosure statement saying that you have recorded the correct odometer reading.
  • Tag number and expiration date.
  • Your driver's license number and the car's VIN number.

You can apply for a duplicate title in person at your local DMV office or you can submit all documentation and fees, in certified form (include a photocopy of your driver's license and a self-addressed, stamped envelope) by mail to:

    State of Delaware
    Division of Motor Vehicles
    P.O. Box 698
    Dover, DE 19903

    Frequently Asked Title Questions

    Can you add or remove a lien from the title during this process?

    You can remove a lien that has been satisfied by filling out the block on the lower left hand corner of the application for a duplicate title. A lien cannot be added at the same time a duplicate title is requested. You can add it by getting a supplementary title after the duplicate title is issued.

    If I am from out of state and purchased a vehicle from a seller who lost the title, what do we do?

    When a Delaware resident sells a car to an out-of-state buyer, the seller needs to complete the Assignment of Certificate of Title section 1 on the back of a title. The seller also needs to complete the back of the car's registration card or the seller's report of sale, and send them and the new owner's name and address to:

    Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles
    Data Management Section
    P.O. Box 698
    Dover, DE 19903

    What other changes can I make to my title during this process?

    You can change information on a title that includes correcting a VIN, adding or changing a name, and updating the vehicle's mileage.


    MV 213
    Application for Duplicate, Corrected, Weight Change Title
    Request a duplicate OR corrected vehicle title from the Delaware DMV. Can be used to record a vehicle weight change on your title.
    DMV.ORG BBB Business Review