Moving Out of State in Delaware

Delaware requires that you return your vehicle license plates and notify the DMV if you move out of state. After you've registered and tagged your vehicles in your new state, write a letter notifying the state where the cars are now registered. Include your Delaware tags with the letter and send to:

  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Attn: Uninsured Motorist Section
  • P.O. Box 698
  • Dover, DE 19903
Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.


Be sure to locate your title and registration papers BEFORE you move; you'll need them to title and register the vehicles in your new state.

Before attempting that, be sure to change your driver's license first. Many states will not let you perform any motor vehicle transactions until your license is current.

You'll also want to check into the insurance requirements of your new state; minimum requirements vary, so you'll need to be current before heading out to do all these transactions.

Learn About Your New State

Check out our sections written especially for your new state; you'll find all the driver's license and vehicle information you need, plus some fun stuff, too!

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review