Organ Donation in Delaware
Organ Donation in Delaware
Delaware promotes a statewide campaign called “Point. Click. Save Lives." This program is designed to raise awareness about tissue and organ donation throughout the state.
Many Delaware residents are waiting for their organ transplants. Sign up and support the cause today!
Register as a DE Organ Donor
Anyone can become an organ and tissue donor in Delaware. You can sign up to become one either online or in person at your local DE DMV office.
There are no fees associated with becoming a tissue and organ donor, nor will your family have to pay for the organ donation process.
NOTE: If you are younger than 18 years old, you will need your parents or legal guardians to consent to your wish to participate in organ and tissue donation in Delaware. To proceed, visit your local Division of Motor Vehicles office with your parents. Once consent is given, your donor designation status will be placed on your Delaware ID card, learner's permit, or driver's license.
To register as an organ donor online, simply:
- Visit ORGANIZE.org, which will record your registration into a national database.
- Complete the Gift of Life Donor Program tissue and organ donor online application.
You will need your Delaware driver's license or identification card number, as well as the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
When you apply for your driver's license or during any renewal application, you can choose to become an organ donor. Your driver's license will have "organ donor" printed on the front in red letters. Your choice also becomes part of the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) database.
Once you choose to become a tissue and organ donor in Delaware, your ID card, driver's license, or learner's permit will have a red heart on it. Every time you renew your driver's license or identification card, you must also reaffirm your desire to be an organ and tissue donor in Delaware.
Choosing to be an organ and tissue donor is a noble decision. Be sure to discuss your wishes with your family, friends, and doctor when you decide to be an organ donor.
How You Can Help With Organ Donation
You can help above and beyond signing up as an organ donor. You can:
- Volunteer with the Gift of Life Donor Program: Volunteers of the program motivate other Delaware residents to get involved in organ and tissue donation in Delaware. As a volunteer, you may participate in:
- Community events.
- Health fairs.
- Become a Member of the Delaware Volunteer Coalition.
- Become a Living Donor: If you are in excellent emotional and physical condition, you may want to consider becoming a living donor.
- Make monetary donation to the Transplant Foundation online using your Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
- Become a contributing member of the Gift of Life Family House: You may choose your contribution amount and frequency. Contributions start at $250. To learn more, contact the Gift of Life Donor Program at (800) 366-6771.