Lost Traffic Ticket in Delaware

If you've lost your DE traffic ticket, you can obtain ticket information by contacting the Voluntary Assessment Center. For traffic tickets issued in a municipality, you'll need to contact the appropriate Alderman's court.

NOTE: To get information about a lost parking ticket in Delaware, you'll need to get in touch with the parking enforcement agency in the city where you received the parking ticket.

Traffic Ticket Search in DE

If you were issued a voluntary assessment citation, you can retrieve information about your lost traffic by contacting the Voluntary Assessment Center at (302) 739-6911—they can look up your lost traffic ticket information.

Of course, because you've lost your DE traffic ticket, you might not know whether it's a voluntary assessment citation. Try calling the Voluntary Assessment Center first; if they can't offer information, it might mean your traffic ticket was issued in a municipality.

Municipality Traffic Tickets

If you received a traffic ticket in a municipality, you might have better luck contacting the Alderman's Court in that municipality:

  • Bethany Beach: (302) 537-3891.
  • Dewey Beach: (302) 227-6363.
  • Laurel: (302) 875-2855.
  • Newark: (302) 366-7028.
  • Newport: (302) 994-6403.
  • Rehoboth: (302) 227-7917.

Gather Traffic Ticket Information

Your traffic ticket contains valuable information, so it's important to gather all the details and handle them accordingly to avoid additional fines and other penalties.

Be sure to ask about:

  • Your payment deadline.
    • Generally, you must pay within 30 days of receiving the violation; however, you can ask for instructions if you're unable to pay the full amount at once.
    • Ask about your eligible payment options.
  • Your traffic violation information and citation number.
    • Your citation number is especially important for making the payment.
  • Any required traffic court appearance.
    • Typically, you must appear in court if you were not offered or did not agree to a voluntary assessment.
  • Be sure to get the court location, date, and time.

Enter Your DE Traffic Ticket Plea

Once you find your lost traffic ticket information from the Delaware traffic courts, you can plead one of two ways to your traffic violation:

  • Voluntary assessment (which is similar to the “guilty" option in other states) to your DE traffic citation.
  • "Not guilty."

When you choose the voluntary assessment option in Delaware, you can pay your DE traffic ticket fine without having to appear in traffic court.

Pleading "not guilty" to your traffic ticket (e.g., moving violation, speeding ticket, etc.) means scheduling a hearing and making your case before a judge. In some cases, it makes a lot of sense to hire a traffic ticket attorney.

For more information, visit the Paying Your Traffic Ticket and Fighting Your Traffic Ticket sections explain each option in detail.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review