DMV Driver Handbook in Delaware
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
In Delaware, the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides several driving manuals to help you learn how to drive on the road safely, such as the DE driver manual, commercial driver's license manual, and motorcycle operator manual. Browse the Vehicle Code to learn about traffic and vehicle laws.
On this page, you'll find links to the driving manuals and DMV handbooks that you'll need to read and study to pass your Delaware driver's license exams. Driver's handbooks and other DMV manuals are available for several types of driver's licenses and vehicles.
DE Driver's Manual
You can read through the Delaware Driver Manual (REV 2017) (also offered in other languages) to study for the DE driver's license tests.
The DMV handbook covers driving topics such as:
- Rules of the road.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol and drugs.
- Handling emergency situations.
- Avoiding crashes.
The Delaware driver's manual is also an important resource to learn more about:
- Driver's license exams.
- DE driver's license process.
- Driver's license revocations and suspensions.
- Driver Improvement Problem Driver Program.
The information in the driving manual is the basis of the written test you'll take to get your Delaware learner's permit or driver's license. You'll need to study the DE DMV handbook to prepare for the written test.
An ideal complement to studying the Delaware driver handbook is preparing for the written exam with an online practice test. These industry-leading study guides help you learn the information in the driver's handbook and are guaranteed to help you pass the test on your first attempt.
Motorcycle Operator Manual
Before you apply for a DE motorcycle license, you'll need to study the Delaware Motorcycle Operator Manual (Doc 45).
Much of the driver's manual for motorcycles focuses on safe operation. Topics include:
- Carrying passengers.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Avoiding traffic collisions.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Flying objects.
You'll also learn more about motorcycle licenses in the DMV handbook, for example:
- How to obtain your motorcycle license in Delaware.
- DE motorcycle written and skills tests.
Read below to learn how the motorcycle driving manual helps you prepare to get your license.
Studying the Motorcycle Drivers Handbook
The written exam for a motorcycle license is based on the information in the motorcycle driving manual.
Therefore, to prepare for the written exam, you should read and study the motorcycle driver's handbook.
To test your knowledge of the DMV manual's contents before taking the actual DE DMV motorcycle exam, try passing an online practice test.
Commercial Driver's License Manual
If you're planning to apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL), you'll need the Delaware DMV manual for commercial drivers.
Topics in the commercial driving manual include:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) process.
- CDL violations.
You'll also find driving rules and instructions in the DE DMV handbook for commercial drivers. Topics include:
- Transporting passengers and cargo.
- Driving combination vehicles.
- Using air brakes.
- Following accident procedures.
- Operating school buses.
The written exam you'll take for your Delaware CDL asks questions about the material in the commercial drivers handbook.
Practice questions are provided in the commercial driver's manual, some of which you may see on the actual CDL written exam. For additional study questions about the Delaware DMV handbook, take an online CDL practice test.
Other DE Driver's Manuals
The Delaware DMV also provides the following driver's manuals and DMV handbooks:
- The Parents Supervised Driving Program 2013.
- Driving manual that explains the role and responsibility of parents in supervising teen drivers while they learn to drive.
- Senior Driver Guide (also in Spanish).
- Driver's manual that addresses common concerns of senior drivers.
- Farm Manual.
- DMV manual for farmers and farm vehicles explains licensing and registration requirements.
- Dealership Manual.
- A DMV handbook for Delaware automobile dealerships, including licensing requirements.
- Guidelines for New Residents (also in Spanish).
- Driver's handbook focused on driver's license and vehicle registration requirements for new DE residents.
- Vehicle Inspection Manual.
- A DMV handbook that explains vehicle inspection requirements related to registration.
If you have any questions regarding any of driving manuals or DMV handbooks, please contact the Delaware DMV directly.
Delaware Vehicle Code
Browse the Delaware Vehicle Code for specific details about the laws related to traffic tickets, vehicle registration, title certificates, driver's licensing, and more.
This information is more detailed than the information you'll find in most DMV manuals. These details may be able to help you build a case if you're planning to fight a traffic ticket in court.