Name Change in Delaware
Learn how to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) below.
Before you can change your name with the Delaware DMV, you must update your records with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and obtain a new Social Security card showing your new name.
To do this, take or mail the following documents to your local SSA office:
- Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
- U.S. citizenship (if not currently on file) OR lawful U.S. presence.
- Identity (e.g. driver's license, passport, ID card).
For a complete list of required documents, visit the SSA website. You will receive a new Social Security card in the mail showing your new name.
After you've changed your name, you have 30 days to change your name with the Delaware DMV. You can do this once you've received your updated Social Security card that has your new name on it.
To change your name on your DE driver's license or ID card, visit your local DE DMV office in person with:
- Your current driver's license or ID card.
- An original or certified copy of a document proving your name change, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- Your updated Social Security card.
- Payment for the ;$1.15 fee.
You will need to have your photo taken and provide a new signature. The Delaware DMV will issue you an updated driver's license or ID card showing your new name.
To change your name on your vehicle registration and certificate of title, visit your local Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in person and:
- Provide your current certificate of title (see below if you have a lien on your vehicle) and registration card.
- Show proof of your car insurance.
- Present your DE driver's license with your new name OR proof of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).
- Payment for the $25 fee.
If you have a lien on your vehicle, you'll need to send a completed Form MV35 (available at a DE DMV office) to the lien holder. Once the DMV has received the certificate of title from the lien holder, they will notify you by mail. Follow the instructions you receive to change your name on your title certificate.
To change your name on your driver's license and vehicle documents, you'll need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license: $1.15.
- Vehicle registration and title certificate: $25.
Delaware DMV offices accept payment by:
- Money order.
- VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit/debit card.
If you change address in Delaware, the DMV requires you to notify them within 30 days of your move. For more information, visit our Change of Address in Delaware page.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.