Title Transfers in Connecticut

Transferring a Title in Connecticut

The CT Department of Motor Vehicles requires most vehicles to carry a certificate of title. This document serves as proof of vehicle ownership. In most cases, the title is needed when transferring ownership via sale or donation.

Transfer a Title when you Move to Connecticut

After establishing residency, you have 60 days to register and title your vehicle with the CT DMV. For your convenience, both transactions can be completed during the same visit. For more information on obtaining a vehicle registration certificate, visit our CT Car Registration page.

The DMV only requires a certificate of title for vehicles that are 20 years old and newer. If your car or truck was manufactured before then, you do not need to title your vehicle in the state.

To obtain a CT title, visit any Connecticut DMV office with:

The CT DMV will mail the title certificate to you.

Buying or Selling a Vehicle in CT

Buying from a Dealership

After purchasing a vehicle – new or used – from a dealership, the dealer will submit the paperwork to the DMV for registering and titling the vehicle. If there's a lien on the vehicle, the title will be sent to your lienholder. Otherwise, it will be mailed to you.

Buying from a Private Party

You will need from the seller:

  • The properly assigned title.
  • A Bill of Sale (form H-31).
  • Your own bill of sale, which must include:
    • Name and address of seller.
    • Name and address of buyer.
    • Sale price.
    • Date of sale.
    • Description of vehicle (make, model, year, and color.
    • VIN vehicle identification number).
    • Seller's signature.

After purchasing the vehicle, you must title and register the vehicle with the CT DMV. Both transactions can be completed simultaneously.

NOTE: To learn more about registering your vehicle, jump over to our Register Car page.

When applying for a new title, bring to any DMV office:

How to Transfer Title When Selling Your Vehicle

Before selling your vehicle, it's best to have the title – the process is much easier for both you and the buyer. If you don't have it, learn how to order a replacement in “Duplicate Vehicle Title" below.

If you don't want to wait for a new title to be processed, you may instead hand the buyer a completed Application for Replacement Certificate of Title and Ownership Transfer in Absence of Title (Form H-6B) only if the buyer resides in Connecticut. If the buyer lives outside the state, you must apply for a duplicate title. You will need to have this form mailed to you by filling out the required information in the link above.

Remove the license plates from the vehicle prior to relinquishing it. You'll need to return them to the DMV along with the registration certificate. If you don't cancel the plates, you'll be assessed a property tax on the vehicle. Also, don't cancel the vehicle's insurance coverage until after you cancel the registration.

Provide the buyer with:

  • The vehicle's title. Make sure to fill in the reverse side along with your signature.
  • A Bill of Sale (Form H-31).
  • A bill of sale that includes:
    • Your name and address.
    • The seller's name and address.
    • The vehicle's make, model, year, color, and vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • The vehicle's purchase price and date.
    • Your signature.

Make sure to keep copies of the bill of sale and assigned title. You will also need to remove the license plates and either apply to transfer the plates, or return them and the registration certificate to the DMV with a request to for them to be cancelled. Once you have cancelled the registration you can cancel the insurance on the vehicle.

Removing a Lien on Your CT Vehicle

After fulfilling your loan agreement, you do not have to apply for a new title. The CT DMV requires the lienholder to sign off on the title and send it to you, and/or provide you with a lien release letter on the lienholder's letterhead attached to the title.

Donating, Inheriting, or Gifting a CT Vehicle

Donated Vehicles

After deciding on the charity to which you want to donate your vehicle, you'll need to sign the name of the charity on the reverse side of the title.

Make sure to:

  • Remove the license plates.
  • Hand over the assigned title.
  • Turn in the plates to the DMV, or transfer them to a different vehicle.

If needed, the IRS provides a list of charities qualified to receive tax-deductible car donations.

Gifted Vehicles

You may gift your vehicle to any one of the following immediate family members:

  • Mother or father.
  • Husband or wife.
  • Civil union partner.
  • Daughter or son.
  • Sister or brother.

To complete the title transfer, visit any CT DMV office with:

Expect to receive the title in the mail following the vehicle's registration date.

Inherited Vehicles

If the vehicle you're inheriting carries a Connecticut title, the executor or administrator of the estate will need to assign it to you. You may then follow the same title transfer steps described above in “Gifted Vehicles."

If the vehicle does not carry a title, the executor or administrator of the estate will instead need to provide you with a completed Request for Report of Sale/Transfer of Non Titled Motor Vehicle (Form Q-1).

When you're ready to title your inherited vehicle, go to any DMV office with:

Expect to see the title in the mail after the vehicle's registration date.

Fees to Title Your Vehicle in CT

  • Title fee: $25.
  • Lien fee: $25.
  • Duplicate title fee: $45.
  • Adding lien holder to title: $45.
  • Title record copy search: $20.
  • Emissions test fee: $20
  • VIN inspection fee: $10

Acceptable Payment Methods

CT DMV offices accept:

  • Cash.
  • Check.
  • Money order.
  • Credit card:
    • MasterCard.
    • Discover.
    • VISA.
  • Debit card:
    • MasterCard or VISA logo.

Name Corrections on a CT Title

Changing a Name on a Title

Present to any CT Division of Motor Vehicles office:

  • The original certificate of title. Sign and show the name change on the backside of the title.
  • A completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H-13B).
  • Proper photo identification (CT ID card, passport, CT driver's license).
  • Proof of name change (divorce decree, marriage certificate, court order).

Adding a Name to a Title

To add a name to a CT vehicle title, visit your local DMV office with:

  • A completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H-13B).
  • The title certificate showing the new name. It must be signed by the owner and both names must be separated by either “and" or “or."
  • Proper photo identification (CT driver's license, valid passport, CT ID card).

Deleting a Name on a CT Title

Remove a name by visiting any CT Department of Motor Vehicles office with:

Obtain a Duplicate CT Vehicle Title

If you cannot locate your certificate of title, you'll need to apply for a replacement by:

If the vehicle is 20 years old or less, you can either visit any DMV office (the Putnam office does not handle replacement titles) for immediate processing. You must be the owner, legal representative via power of attorney, or recognized lien holder to receive the duplicate title.

Alternatively, you may mail the above to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Specialized Registry Services
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161


Bill of Sale
Use this bill of sale as proof of purchase when you sell a vehicle or vessel in Connecticut.
Application for Registration and Certificate of Title
The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles' application for vehicle title and registration.
Motor Vehicle and Vessel Gift Declaration
Fill out this form if you gifted or donated your vehicle OR vessel in Connecticut.
Motor Vehicle Ownership Affidavit
Submit to the Connecticut DMV when you need to verify ownership of a vehicle you don't have a title or lien release for.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review