Other Licenses & Endorsements in Connecticut

Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!

Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

  • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
  • Study When and Where You Want
  • 24/7 Online Access
  • Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed

Connecticut Special Driver's Licenses

Depending on what type of vehicle you want to drive and what kind of driving you want to do, you may need to apply for a license class or endorsement in addition to your regular Class D driver's license.

The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers different license classes and endorsements that will probably meet your needs.

Each different driver's license class and endorsement has its own requirements, DMV tests, and fees.

On this page you'll find a general overview of some of the types of licenses and endorsements available to you.

If you need information about applying for a non-commercial Class D driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Connecticut Passenger Endorsement Information

The Department of Motor Vehicles provides an excellent guide that defines many sorts of passenger transportation vehicles, the types of endorsements needed to drive them, and the types of endorsements available.

You'll be eligible for a CT passenger endorsement if you:

  • Are at least 18 years old. (21 years old for commercial vehicles.)
  • Have a valid non-commercial driver's license.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Have a clean criminal record.
  • Pass any medical requirements.

To apply for a passenger endorsement, you'll need to visit the CT DMV and:

Please visit the Connecticut DMV website for more information on passenger endorsements.

Connecticut Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

You'll need to obtain a CDL if you want to drive a single vehicle or combination vehicle that:

  • Weighs over 26,000 lbs.
  • Can carry at least 16 passengers.
  • Can carry hazardous materials.

School buses, public transit buses, and motor coaches often fall into one of the CDL categories.

For information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Connecticut page.

School Bus Driver

School bus drivers need to have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) along with Class P, V, S, and F endorsements. In some situations, such as when transporting children to and from after-school events, a Class A endorsement may also be required.

School bus drivers also face other requirements, including:

  • Background checks.
  • Periodic drug testing.
  • Maintaining clean driving records.
  • Medical reviews.
  • Special school bus driver training and certification.

For more information, please contact the Connecticut DMV.

City Bus Driver

To drive a city bus, you must have a CDL in addition to Class P, S, and F endorsements.

Connecticut Taxi, Chauffeur, & Limo Drivers

To drive a taxi, you must have the basic operator's license along with Class S and F endorsements.

Shuttle Bus Driver

Most shuttle bus drivers will simply need to have an operator's license in addition to a Class S and F endorsement.

Whether you'll need a CDL to operate your shuttle bus and the type of endorsement you'll need, will depend on the weight of the vehicle, as well as the number and type of passengers being transported. It's best to check with your prospective employer for the licensing requirements of the job.

CT Off-Road & Sport Vehicles

A special license isn't necessary to drive an off-highway vehicle, although you'll need to have a standard operator's license to cross any public state highway. Certain off-road/recreational vehicles may require you to apply for a motorcycle license.

For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Connecticut page.


Application for Public Passenger Endorsement
Apply for a public passenger endorsement on your CT commercial driver's license.
Medical Examiners Certificate
Certain Connecticut CDL holders are required to carry this medical certificate. Must be completed by a medical professional.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG