Replacing a Lost Registration in Connecticut
A lost or stolen car registration is no laughing matter, and a trip to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not sound like a fun family outing.
Fortunately for the family, Connecticut’s DMV makes replacing that registration simple.
So, save the family outings for Bear Mountain and keep reading for details. You’ll have a copy of your vehicle registration in no time!
Apply for a Duplicate CT Registration
In Connecticut, you can apply for a replacement registration:
- In person.
- By mail.
Save time and print a copy of your car registration online using the DMV’s online services portal. You’ll first need to have your registration connected to your driver’s license.
Visit the online registration replacement portal and provide your:
- Full name.
- Date of birth.
- Driver’s license or ID number.
- Plate number and class (i.e. passenger, etc.).
- Payment for the $20 replacement registration fee.
To obtain a duplicate CT registration in person, head down to your local DMV office location and provide:
- A completed Request for a Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration (Form B-341).
- Your marker plate number.
- Payment for the $20 fee for duplicate registration.
You can send in your request for duplicate registration by mail. You’ll need:
- A completed Request for a Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration (Form B-341) that includes your:
- Vehicle type.
- Plate number.
- A check or money order for the $20 replacement fee, payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Include your plate number on your check.
Send the above to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Services Division—Duplicate Registrations
60 State St.
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Replacing Lost, Stolen, or Damaged CT License Tags
If your Connecticut license plate is lost―or worse, stolen―you need to request a replacement in person at your local CT Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
If your license plates were stolen or vandalized, you should file a police report with your local law enforcement agency BEFORE applying for new plates. This will affect the replacement fee you pay. When you apply for replacement plates, bring the police report and the remains of the damaged plates, if applicable.
To request replacement plates, you'll need to provide: