Replacing a Lost License in Connecticut
How to Replace a Connecticut Driver's License
If you've lost or damaged your Connecticut driver's license, learner's permit, motorcycle learner's permit, Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or non-driver photo ID.,―or worse, it's been stolen―you will need to obtain a replacement license from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.
NOTE: If you are in need of a replacement commercial driver's license (CDL) or a CDL permit, you can follow the steps below or read our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.
Apply for a Duplicate Driver's License or Permit in CT
REAL IDs & Replacements
If you plan to upgrade to a CT verified REAL ID upon replacement, you'll need to do so in person and follow the steps for a first-time REAL ID application. Jump over to our license guide for help.
The Connecticut DMV does NOT yet offer driver's license replacements online, and ONLY offers duplicates by mail under special circumstances (see “Replace a CT License while Out of State" below). If you need to replace a lost, damaged, or stolen driver's license, permit, or ID card, you'll need to apply in person at your local Connecticut DMV office and:
- Complete an Application for Duplicate of Current Driver's License or Permit (Form 1-B).
- Pay the replacement fee.
- Also be prepared to provide proof of your identity, just in case you're asked to, though it's not a hard requirement for all replacements.
Although you should notify police if your CT driver's license is stolen, you are not required to file a police complaint to obtain a replacement.
NOTE: You only need to replace a damaged driver's license if your information and photo are not readable.
How to Replace a CT License while Out of State
If you are temporarily outside of Connecticut or out of the country when your driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can obtain a duplicate license by mail as long as you are:
- An active-duty military member. See our Drivers in the Military in Connecticut page for more information.
- A prison inmate.
- Out of state or country temporarily only.
- A licensed driver with health issues who cannot appear in person.
NOTE: Follow the same steps below to replace a Connecticut motorcycle license.
To get a replacement Connecticut driver's license by mail:
- Complete the Request for a Connecticut Driver's License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350).
- If you are making the request due to a medical condition, complete the Request to Renew or Obtain a Duplicate Driver's License/Identification Card by Mail Due to Medical Conditions (Form CI-1).
- Sign the form, attach a check for fee, include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and send it all to:
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Attention: Central Issuance Operations Unit
- 60 State St
- Wethersfield, CT 06109
You also can e-mail or fax your form to the CT DMV if you need to pay by credit card:
- E-mail: DMV.CIU@ct.gov.
- Fax: (860) 263-5591.
Wait 1 business day, then call the Central Issuance Operations Unit at (860) 263-5401 during its regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, to provide your credit card information.
The Connecticut DMV will process your application and send your duplicate driver's license by mail.
Fees to Replace Your License or Permit
The fee to replace your license or permit will vary depending on what type of license ot permit you have:
- Driver's License, Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or non-driver photo ID: $30.
- Learner's Permit: $19.
- Motorcycle Learner's Permit: $16.
- Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDIP): $10.
- Convenience fee: $8.
Accepted forms of payment vary by locations.
Connecticut Boat License Replacements
If you misplaced your Safe Boating Certificate (SBC) in Connecticut, you'll need to obtain a replacement copy. These certificates are available for printing online, and you will not be responsible for any fees. You'll need to:
- Visit the Online Sportsman Licensing System.
- Log into your account. Be prepared to enter your date of birth and conservation ID number.
- Select the link that says, "Click here to reprint your license."
For more details about boats in Connecticut, please read our page about Boat Registration and Licenses.
- Request to Renew/Duplicate Drivers License/ID by Mail Due to a Temporary Medication Condition
- Use this form to request a replacement OR renewed CT driver's license OR state ID card by mail if you cannot do so in person because of a medical condition. Form must be completed by a doctor.