Replacing a Lost CDL in Connecticut
Join 18,882 Americans who searched DMV.ORG for commercial insurance rates:
The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) won't issue a replacement commercial driver's license by mail; if you're in state, you must apply in person at your local DMV office. However, if you're out of state, you can voluntarily surrender or downgrade your CDL by mail.
Because it's illegal to drive a commercial vehicle without a CDL, it's important you apply for a replacement as soon as possible. Also, be sure to report your lost CDL to local and state authorities to help fight identity theft.
Apply for a Replacement CDL in CT
Apply for your duplicate CDL with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Visit your local CT DMV with the following:
- A completed Application for Duplicate of Current Driver's License or Permit (Form 1-B).
- You can download and complete this form at home, or request one at the DMV.
- 1 document proving your identification.
- Choose from among the state's list of accepted documents.
- The applicable fee:
- CDL: $30.
- Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDIP): $10.
- See the state's list of accepted forms of payment.
You won't have your picture taken again; the CT DMV will use the picture already on file.
Out-of-State CT Driver with Lost CDL
If you're currently out of state and lose your CDL, contact the CT DMV for replacement instructions.
You MIGHT be allowed to order a duplicate CDL by mail, or you MIGHT have to wait until you can visit a CT DMV office in person (as is the case for CDL renewals). The CT DMV will explain your options based on your situation.
Regardless of how you're able to order your replacement CDL, remember that while you're out of state:
- It's illegal to operate your commercial truck without your valid CDL on you.
- An identity thief could get hold of your lost CDL, so it's wise to report it to the local and state authorities—both in Connecticut and the state you're currently in.
Application for Duplicate of Current Drivers License or Permit
Request a duplicate of any type of CT driver's license, instruction permit, OR identification card from the Department of Motor Vehicles
|Download Open the form|