Renewing Your CDL in Connecticut
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has a specific process in place for renewing a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
If it’s time for you to complete the CDL renewal process, or if you are just trying to prepare in advance, keep reading to see what steps you will need to follow in order to do so.
Renewing a CT Commercial Driver’s License
In Connecticut, your CDL will need to be renewed every 4 years, at least 1 week before your birthday. You should expect to receive a renewal form in the mail to the address* you have on file at the DMV.
You will ALSO need an up-to-date medical certificate done by a certified medical examiner on record with the DMV office BEFORE you renew. See our section about the medical certificate below for details.
When you head to your local DMV office to renew your CDL, bring your:
- Completed renewal application form.
- Printed receipt of confirmation that you are self-certified with the DMV. You can self certify on the DMV self-certification page.
- Current commercial driver’s license.
- If you don’t have your current license, you will need to bring 2 documents proving your ID.
If you would like to get a license that is federally compliant with the REAL ID Act, you should also be prepared to show documents proving your:
- Social Security number.
- Legal U.S. presence.
- CT residence (2 documents).
- Name change (if applicable).
The Connecticut DMV website has a REAL ID document checklist with a full list of acceptable documents.
Once you complete the renewal process at the DMV, you will be given a temporary paper card to hold on to, along with your expiring license, while you wait for your new license to come in the mail.
*By law, you have 48 hours to inform the DMV if you are to change addresses. If you don’t receive your notice in the mail, please contact the DMV at (800) 842-8222.
CDL Endorsement Renewals in CT
If you have any endorsements on your commercial driver’s license, you may need to take additional steps in renewing your CDL to keep the endorsement current.
If you have any questions about endorsement renewal requirements, contact the DMV at (800) 842-8222.
Medical Examiner’s Certification
By law, you must renew your Medical Examiner’s Certificate every 2 years. This certificate must be on file with the DMV before you can renew your CDL.
The process essentially mirrors that from your initial application. You will need to:
- Visit a certified medical examiner.
- Have them fill out the Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876).
- Email your completed medical certification OR fax it to (860) 263-5568.
For more information on getting your Medical Examiner’s Certificate, see our page on applying for a new CT CDL.
CDL Renewal Fees in Connecticut
The following fees are associated with renewing a commercial driver’s license:
- Renewal fee: $70 for 4 years.
- Renewal with a public passenger endorsement or restriction: $118.
- Late fee for renewing an expired CDL: $25.
The CT DMV website has a location-specific list of acceptable payment methods.