Moving Out of State in Connecticut

Permanent Moves

Registration Cancellation

If you're leaving the Nutmeg State on a permanent basis, cancel your registration once you've registered your vehicle in your new state and have new license plates on your vehicle.

To cancel the registration, visit a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office with your plates. If that's not practical, mail the plates to:

  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • 60 State St.
  • Wethersfield, CT 06161
  • Attn: Plate Return

When mailing the plates, include a written statement indicating you want to cancel your registration.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Registration Refund

To get a refund, you must have at least one year left on your registration. If you do, complete a refund form while returning your plates at the DMV office. You can also request that the refund form be mailed to you. Or, call (860) 263-5700 to have the form sent to your new location.

You may request a refund through the mail (after you've cancelled your registration) by sending the completed refund form to:

  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • 60 State St.
  • Wethersfield, CT 06161
  • ATTN: Refunds

Temporary Moves

Change of Address

If you'll be leaving the state for a short period of time and intend to return, you should alert the DMV of the move by providing the agency with your new mailing address. You can do this by submitting a change of address form. Be sure to do so within at least 48 hours of your change in address. Simply completing a change of address card with the post office is not sufficient for the DMV.

Those leaving the state on a permanent basis do not need to notify the DMV of the change of address.

Preparing for the Move

Make matters easier for yourself either before or shortly after moving by visiting our "New to Your State" section, which gives an overview of driving-related tasks that should be tackled immediately after you settle into your new home.

Military Information

Those in the military who will be temporarily living outside Connecticut should check out our Drivers in the Military section for important registration and license information regarding their special situation.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review