Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Connecticut

In Connecticut, there are a few rules you have to follow to operate motor-driven cycles like scooters, mopeds, and motorbikes.

Let’s see what the CT Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires.

CT Scooters, Mopeds, & Motorbikes

Connecticut defines motor-driven cycles as any moped, motor scooter, or motorbike with an engine displacement of fewer than 50 cc and a seat height measuring 26 inches or more.

Both teen and adult drivers need a basic driver’s license (Class D) to operate motor-driven cycles.

The CT DMV doesn’t require registration for motor scooters, mopeds, or motorbikes.

When it comes to motor-driven cycle rules of the road, you:

  • CANNOT operate them on sidewalks, limited access highways, or turnpikes.
  • MUST drive in the right lane or a useable shoulder on the right side IF the maximum speed of your motor-driven cycle is less than the speed limit, UNLESS you’re making a left turn.

Pocket Bikes (Mini-Motorcycles)

If your motor-driven cycle is a tiny thing with a seat height of fewer than 26 inches, you have a mini-motorcycle—or pocket bike—on your hands.

The CT DMV doesn’t require registration for pocket bikes, and you ARE NOT allowed to operate them on any roadway or sidewalk

Three-Wheeled Vehicles

TYPICALLY, three-wheeled vehicles that have an enclosed driver’s seat and a motor that’s not in the enclosed area are NOT considered motorcycles under Connecticut law and cannot be registered as motorcycles

However, the CT DMV advises you call them at (860) 263-5080 before hitting the road, just as final confirmation your three-wheeled vehicle doesn’t need to be registered.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review