Other Vehicle Registrations in Connecticut

Summary: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Connecticut

Most other vehicle types in CT are registered just like your regular car or truck. These include snowmobiles, ATVs, custom-built cars, trailers, and RVs or motorhomes. Registration fees are typically based on the size and weight of your special vehicle. Bring your vehicle's title and proof of ID to your local Department of Motor Vehicles office, along with payment for your fee.

Connecticut law requires you to register ATVs, snowmobiles, and other types of special vehicles with the Connecticut DMV. The registrations are good for 3 years.

If you have overdue property tax bills or parking tickets, you cannot register your vehicles until you have paid off those debts.

ATVs and Snowmobiles

Registering your snowmobile or ATV does not allow you to drive the vehicle on public roads or highways. Violations can result in fines.

The rules for registering snowmobiles and ATVs are the same. You need to pay a $45 fee and show the following documents to obtain a registration valid for 3 years:

  • Bill of sale listing the:
    • Buyer and seller.
    • Purchase price.
    • Year.
    • Make.
    • Model and VIN (vehicle identification number).
  • Certificate of origin provided by the dealer for new vehicles. For used snowmobiles or ATVs, you need a prior registration.
  • Application for Snowmobile or All-Terrain Vehicle Registration, available at any full-service DMV office. The application needs to be filled out and signed.

Exceptions to Registering

You do not need to register your vehicle if:

  • The ATV or snowmobile is registered in another state.
  • You only drive the ATV or snowmobile on land you own or lease.

ATV and Snowmobile Registration for Minors

ATVs and snowmobiles can be registered in the name of a minor. The owner must be 16 or 17 years old and show the following documents:

  • Notarized Certificate of Parental Consent (Form 2D). This form can only be signed by a parent, legal guardian, or your spouse who is over 18 years old.
  • Financial responsibility form with an insurance company. The form must be on file with the DMV before registration will be allowed..

Custom-Built Car Registration

The first step in getting your custom-built car registered is to have it inspected at the Wethersfield office. Call first to make an appointment. Have your vehicle taken to the inspection by either a flat-bed truck or trailer (no wheels can touch the ground during transportation).

NOTE: DO NOT drive your custom-built car until it is properly registered with the CT DMV.

You will need:

  • A completed Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle (Form R-95).
  • 2 photos of the car.
  • The certificate of title for every vehicle you have major parts from.
  • Receipts for all parts you used in construction. Include vehicle identification numbers (VIN) where applicable.
  • Payment for the following fees:
    • Inspection: $88.
    • VIN assignment: $50.

Once you've been assigned a VIN, visit your local Connecticut DMV office to have it registered and titled. You will follow the same steps as those for standard vehicles; visit our Connecticut Car Registration page for details.

Registering Trailers

New boat trailers, utility trailers, snowmobile trailers, or any trailer for personal use must be registered at the Connecticut DMV.

You need to show the following documents to register a new trailer:

Used Trailers

You need to show the following documents for used trailers:

Motorhomes and Recreational Vehicles in CT

If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Connecticut, you will need to have it registered before you can drive it legally in the state. Follow the steps listed on our Connecticut Vehicle Registration page.

NOTE: Fees may vary depending on the size of your motorhome.

CT Moped and Scooter Registration

You DO NOT have to register a moped or scooter in CT as long as it has:

  • An engine size of under 50 cc.
  • A seat at least 26 inches high.

If your vehicle is more than 2 HP, you must register it as a motorcycle.

For more information, including driver's license requirements, see our scooters and mopeds page.

Refund Request

You may be able to get a refund for the unused portion of your registration, when you cancel the registration on a snowmobile, camper, or ATV. The license plates need to be returned to the DMV, and there may be a requirement for how much time is remaining on the registration.

You need to complete a Request for Registration Refund form (Form F-82). You can request a form by filling out the online request. Take the form and your license plates to your local DMV office.


Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle
Provide this DMV form at your composite vehicle inspection. A photo of your vehicle must accompany the form.
Application for Registration and Certificate of Title
The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles' application for vehicle title and registration.
Certificate of Parental Consent
The parent or legal guardian of a minor must complete this form to give the minor permission to apply for a CT learner's permit, driver's license, OR vehicle registration. Form must be notarized.
Request for Registration Refund
Request a registration refund from the CT DMV. You must request this form using the Department of Motor Vehicles' online system.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review